The 8th Book Club

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Indy, May 7, 2014.

1. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

I'll give it a go.

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Added you guys.

3 questions.

1. When do we wanna start?

2. What pace do we want to maintain?

3. Who wants to buy me the book as a graduation gift?

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Sure. We can take nominations for the next choice and vote for it after (if) we get through the first one.

4. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Only if finger painting with feces makes you an artist.

5. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

The Alchemist.

6. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

1. No need to wait around, right?
    2. A medium pace? Just kidding, I think there's a good suggested guide on the internet. Or we could make up a reasonable number of pages per day.
    3. Where do I send it?

wildnkrazykat likes this.
  7. wildnkrazykat

wildnkrazykat Well-Known Member

I'm in I guess, if that's ok

8. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

I'm sure you can just leave it on his mom's night stand. She'll get it to him.

9. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Ok. I'm in. Checking the book out from the library today. Did we agree on Infinite Jest?

10. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

If finger painting with feces is cool, consider me Miles Davis.

11. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Not sure how long the chapters are or how the book is structured, but as I will be reading the ebook version, I would say it will probably be best to keep it as close to "read chapter 1 and 2" as possible, for me at least. Anyone else going that route?

12. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

I'm still hanging on to the printed material like a vine on the side of a cliff. I've started looking into others' experience and I've seen a few who finished in 3 months (others much longer, some faster). I'm not sure if that's a reasonable goal for this exercise, but if the chapter lengths are conducive to distributing across our target completion period I think that's a good way to go.

13. wildnkrazykat

There is an edition available that contains a readers guide. I'd be willing to pay the extra dollar or so for that version if y'all think it would be helpful.

14. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Some of the chapters are like four pages long.

Here is a recommended reading schedule. http://infinitesummer.org/index

It basically amounts to 10 pages a day. Which is actually reasonable, if we're reading endnotes.

15. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Have you read this lately? Like, as an adult? Not long ago my son and I read this book. Before we read it I told him that I had read it when I was his age and built it up as being this awesome story. After reading it with him we were both let down. To this day I'm still wondering why I thought this was a good book.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I challenge you guys to complete this before I finish 100 Goosebumps books. Starting #1 tonight.

17. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Just picked it up. Holy smokes it's long. Just reading the introduction is exhausting.

18. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Gotcha, I'll just buy the physical copy then, **** it

19. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Or maybe not, no copies available through prime. Looks like they have it broken down into roughly 1% a day, so should be easy to keep up with that on the eBook version

20. wildnkrazykat

So this is gonna be a [itch bay] huh. I might as well download it n try to get a head start before my ADD sets in