The 8th Book Club

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Indy, May 7, 2014.

1. wildnkrazykat

wildnkrazykat Well-Known Member

You going thru amazon I take it? I was thinking thru iBooks but I'll go with amazon just to keep it uniform.

2. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Yeah, I use an Android tablet and just like the Kindle app more than iBooks. I think all of the apps show you what percentage you have read though, and the guide KidB posted shows the percentages by day, too.

3. wildnkrazykat

K. Thank you!

4. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

I doubt mine arrives before Friday, so this weekend will be first opportunity to get started. I'm not sure how these typically work. Is it more a goal for completion or are there regular checkpoints/milestones that help keep us all on track?

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

4 to 14 business days. I might have to catch up.

6. wildnkrazykat

I'm sure I'll be the first to drop out

7. gcbvol

Did you order from Cirdan by way of Amazon?

8. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Not to be uncool, but have you checked your local library? There were six copies available in our system.

Also, talked to my English Professor buddy who has deep reservations about the book but he's going to go along for the ride and read it with us. I'm starting Wednesday night!

9. gcbvol

Not uncool at all, VFJ. I'm embarrassed by the fact I do not currently possess a library card. I've become completely dependent on Amazon, but I really need to start using local libraries.

10. gcbvol

Kat, I've seen a few folks state it is important to trust the author. It will most certainly be challenging but if we stick with it there will be a 'click' point. I have a lot of respect for DFW so I really want to do this. I don't think you will bail, nor will anyone else. Not this group.

11. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

We also have an excellent public library system where I live so that helps. I am still a tactile (sp?) sort of reader... I just can't stare at screens for very long and need the weight of the book in my hands.

12. gcbvol

I'm the same way. I love the weight of a book in my hands and the turning of pages. I can't let it go (or don't want to).

13. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Libraries are great. I order on Amazon way too much. I should use my library card more.

14. kidbourbon

Do you hate tennis?

15. kidbourbon

I'm the same way. I won't even give kindle a try. I should probably at least try it, but I figure I look at a screen too much anyway.

16. wildnkrazykat

You underestimate my ability to get bored n say **** it. I'm gonna give it my best shot, I just hope the hook happens quickly for me.

17. wildnkrazykat

I'm sure I don't, but I'm
    Not passionate about it either

18. wildnkrazykat

Reservations, how so?

19. kidbourbon

Was just messing around. You don't have to be.

20. kidbourbon

I'd like to hear about this as well.