COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Either in sleep or in middle of night and found the next day. I don’t really care who believes or doesn’t.

2. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

After just turning numbers in my head, please please defend this as anything other than deeply unserious.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

JFC, it was a joke because he constantly brings up that he knows this person or that person.

zehr27 likes this.
  4. IP

IP Super Moderator

That's a relief because I don't believe you.

5. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

I’m not good at reading sarcasm online. My bad.

Edit: In fairness though I’m not sure it’s that easy to read it from the same guy who passes off what we see from our addled President as the effect of his studder.

6. Ssmiff

lol. “Constantly.” You know when you are good looking, social and not a know it all scientist, it’s amazing how many people enjoy the company.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

It's not amazing at all.

8. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Got my new vaccine today, I believe that’s my fifth. Don’t regret any of them

Poppa T likes this.
  9. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Us either.

We (wife and I) just getting over latest varient right before the new vaccine became available. Had to cancel our appointments. This was our 1st covid experience. Doc said we should wait 2-3 weeks before getting 5th. We will get. The 1st 4 kept our old azzes out of the hospital.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

maybe they need to rename the covid vaccine the covid shot. vaccine implies immunity to most people.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

you really need to contact fox news asap. this would be a national story

IP and NorrisAlan like this.
  12. IP

IP Super Moderator

The word immunity is what is misunderstood. It doesn't necessarily mean insusceptible, it means resistant in a medical context (as opposed to like a legal context). It means your body can recognize and produce antibodies. You can still get sick, in part because what we experience as sick is partly our immune system itself responding. Think about the phrase "immune system." Clearly it isn't a "never get sick system." It is a "resistance system."

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

right but there are tons of vaccines that do mean insusceptible. polio, hep b, shingles, measles, to name a few off the top of my head.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

No, not really. 2 polio shots are 90% effective, 3 gets you to 99-100%: https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/polio/hcp/effectiveness-duration-protection.html
    Hep B and Shingles (for older folks getting the Shingles one anyway) is about 90%. Measles, 93%. And that is all for preventing the disease. That doesn't mean you can't "have" it and fight it off without ever being sick. Given time, COVID will settle down on the mutations and vaccines will be that effect (again) too. Assuming we take it seriously.

15. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Yeah. "Immunity" in a legal sense is not exactly the same as in a medical sense.

But as mentioned above, if it is going to be a regular thing (i.e., annually) perhaps calling it a "shot" might be appropriate, especially for the masses.

Not that those who oppose it will get it no matter what it is called. In fact they will probably claim some nefarious conspiracy in the "name" change.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I hope you are right

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

I can't swear to it. Just seems to be the pattern. At the same time, if it gets so mild that it is just another cold then no one will bother.

droski likes this.
  18. Ssmiff

19. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Deaths of despair, homicides (particularly in the US), drug overdoses, deaths caused by unhealthy lifestyles, cancer rates in the younger population.

Take your pick, they are all up over recent years.

And other countries are seeing excess deaths, but not at the same rate we are. You wouldn’t expect to see that if it were vaccine related considering that they have higher vaccination rates, particularly among younger people.

https://fortune.com/well/2023/06/17...deaths-worse-other-rich-countries-85-percent/

20. Ssmiff

I have no idea what all it’s related to. I quit drinking as much, lost 10 lbs and eat fried food maybe once every 3 weeks now too. It’s not one thing, But it could be anything so why rule out anything. Because media or a pharma company said so? Nah.