COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

It isn’t my view, just facts.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Wait, but what I just said I produced with two different sources and a meta source of this forum for the discussion, all dated to November 2020. So...? How can you still be sure when I just showed that as a matter of fact, it was reported as I described?

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Well, no. I just posted facts. You are just saying "nuh uh."

4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

When the vaccine came out, a lot of people thought it was like their flu vaccine, where they get the shot and don’t get the flu. The President, along with social media and media folk said, “you won’t get covid if you get the vaccine.”
    You guys are crazy if you think people lined up for the vaccine knowing it wouldn’t prevent them from getting covid.

5. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

The people who thought Trump’s Lysol advice would inspire people to inject themselves with Lysol shots think Biden and co. publicly claiming the vaccine will prevent Covid had nothing to do with convincing people to get the jab who otherwise would have decided against receiving it.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

The COVID vaccine was initially more effective than the flu shot and is now on par. A flu shot is 40 to 60% effective, and only against the strains it was formulated for that were expected that year.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccines-work/vaccineeffect.htm

But having the flu shot (or the COVID shot) means even if you do get it, you will have a milder case and recover more quickly than you otherwise would have.

Let me know if y'all need more sources. I can't speak to what people thought, but the information is out there and easy to find.

SetVol13 and NorrisAlan like this.
  7. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

That’s….not how the flu shot works.

8. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I don’t get flu shots. Think you’d be surprised how many people get flu shots to prevent themselves from getting the flu. I’ve never heard someone say they get the flu vaccine because they know when they get the flu they won’t be as sick.

9. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

People [itch bay] about the flu shot because it’s not a 100% guarantee against getting it. Completely ignoring the positive benefits for a 10 min in and out of a pharmacy procedure.

10. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

It's interesting in pre-2019 antivaxxers were crazy granola hippies. Then half the population willfully entered the dark ages because covid was bio-engineered to weaken and take down their political liege lord.

Poppa T and NorrisAlan like this.
  11. IP

IP Super Moderator

And NONE of the bad things that were dreamed of happening happened. If you just look at the data, the vaccines worked. Had more people taken them, they would have worked better (as evidenced by nations with higher vaccination rates).

12. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

The messaging was bad.

People don’t understand vaccines and antibodies and diagnostic testing and they get oversimplified explanations that just don’t make sense.

and there’s definitely an unreasonable response to all things COVID from lots of people who should know better.

hell, I have argued with people on Twitter who think it’s sinister that their doctor’s office had to send out their strains for sequencing, not realizing that most if not all their routine lab work is sent elsewhere, let alone a viral sequencing. And “I work in a [uck fay]ing diagnostic lab” didn’t really help anything

SetVol13, Poppa T and justingroves like this.
  13. HCKevinSteele

Because the matter of fact that you posted does not, in any way, contradict what I said.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I've always had shit luck getting a flu shot, I end up getting the [uck fay]ing flu.

warhammer likes this.
  15. IP

IP Super Moderator

But you said:
    And I showed it WAS what we were told. With evidence. So it does indeed contradict with what you said, since you said "what (I) described... is not what people were told." That's a contradiction, bro.

16. HCKevinSteele

We may disagree a lot but I can’t recall having thought you were disingenuous or just plainly an unserious person. That you chose an early announcement that it was 90% effective is comical. How long did that last? How many people lost their jobs based on misrepresentations or flat lies?

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

None. People lost their jobs because their employers required vaccines to work there and the employee decided they would rather not work there. This is very normal and has a long history in the US. Need for links for that?

18. HCKevinSteele

That requirement isn’t plausible without misrepresentations and/or lies. Not enough people would have gone along with it.

19. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

"At will" employment.

If the executives/owners/decision makers felt that the benefits to maintaining the business felt shots would be a requirement of employment then it is a requirement of employment.

"At will" is "At will".

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

What do you even mean? The requirement for vaccinations has been around for students and employees for decades. George Washington expelled soldiers during the Revolutionary War that refused smallpox inoculation.

You seem to be under the impression that there are studies or data that shows the vaccine doesn't work. It is overwhelmingly the opposite.