OWH Memorial Undead Topic

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by O+W=H., Sep 26, 2011.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I'm contemplating starting to reply to LinkedIn head hunters with ridiculous requirements to see how desperate some of them are.

IP likes this.
  2. IP

IP Super Moderator

You never know how desperate unless you ask.

3. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

one hundred billion dollars…..

4. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

5. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

And his salary would be basically nothing if not for those athletes who came to play sports and paying full tuition at the D3 level.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

He seems confused about jobs and college work in general, if he thinks anyone is guaranteed shit based on their performance at a small college alone.

7. CardinalVol

Check out his linkedin profile I posted. He got his 25 years in with the state, got his pension, and is now doing this on the side. I guess he thinks he's got the power to say it.

justingroves likes this.
  8. IP

IP Super Moderator

It's wildly inappropriate, especially in an email.

SetVol13 and justingroves like this.
  9. CardinalVol

Oh, 100%. At bare minimum he needs a formal reprimand, if not told his services aren't needed anymore when his current gig is up.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  10. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Feels like if you’re playing in D3 you’ve already come to realization that a career as a professional athlete is a long shot at best, but still want to play because you love the game, love to compete and love the camaraderie.

That you can do that and put yourself through college at the same time should be applauded, not chastised.

SetVol13, NYY and justingroves like this.
  11. IP

IP Super Moderator

The idea that playing a sport in college is a waste of your time is against the premise of getting a well-rounded post secondary education in the first place. I didn't play a sport, but you are supposed to do a broad range of activities and learn a bunch of random stuff that you won't necessarily use in your day job. That's university. That's college. This guy is a clown.

12. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Again the guy probably never played a team sport and spends a lot of time by himself reflecting on how smart he is. He doesn’t get what others have already mentioned, and additionally isn’t aware of the network you can build thru coaches, teammates, travel and alumni. So and so teammates dad just happens to own a concrete or welding or distribution business and instead of applying online to jobs like this dude right out of college with 500 other applicants, you’ve already shown your character, built relationships and trust and have yourself lined up with opportunities, should you choose.

13. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Come on.

It's not like colleges have been playing sports for 200 years.

14. CardinalVol

I literally got my first job because of the 45 minute interview, 30ish minutes were discussing high school football and college football/basketball. Interviewer finally said "well, I guess I need to ask you the required questions."

SetVol13 likes this.
  15. Ssmiff

it was already over before you got to those questions. People who run companies usually like competitive employees.

16. CardinalVol

Guy was a UK grad (a logical one even), and the hometown opened up the high school football conversation and then it went from there.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

You never know how that stuff can come around. I took an elective in Russian film and that one class has allowed me to have meaningful conversations with cinema buffs more than once, which have been beneficial career-wise. I won't even bother thinking of the random elective science classes and areas that have had synergy with something that has helped me. And that is no different than the benefits of playing competitive sports. If you just focus on your major, you are not going to walk away with the value of the college experience.

18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

A lot D3 universities only survive because of sports and the coaches send out hundreds and hundreds of hey we’d like for you to come pay 30,000 a year to stand on the sideline.

SetVol13 and NYY like this.
  19. CardinalVol

I have zero desire to change jobs, but I threw it out at her to get a response.

20. Ssmiff

This pic came up today. Friends took me to Knoxville to get away after my dad died. UT v KY when Melvin Goins went off for a bit. At least that’s what I remember. We beat Ky ass then go to Tim Roof and big Al, Steve White, big Clarence Swearingin on left, Fred white and Swain as he was talking about starting his radio gig. Ended up doing shots for a bit, except Big Al, and a much needed break from life.
    Just fyi I’m the one in the back middle

Attached Files: