2014 Midterm Election- Results/What's to come

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by JayVols, Nov 5, 2014.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

voter suppression efforts? do tell.

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

That or young people, women, and minorities don't ever vote in large numbers during the midterms.

3. volinbham

volinbham Member

Apparently Dem voter suppression efforts were successful in 2012...:)

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

they don't vote in large numbers pretty much ever.

5. volinbham

volinbham Member

isn't as simple as this? Dems have been largely in control over the last 6 years and the results have been crap. While both parties behaved badly only one was in charge. People were fed up and opted for a switch. It would have been exactly the same if Reps had been in charge over the same time period with the same results. We are continually shifting from one party to the other and both inevitably F things up when they get control of everything.

6. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

^This guy has figured out the game. ^

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

not sure there has ever been a time in American history where the voting public has had a favorable view of congress. can't say they are wrong either.

8. JayVols

We aren't as different as it would seem at first glance.

9. volinbham

volinbham Member

never thought we were Jay

10. JayVols

I try to be objective. Don't always succeed.

11. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

12. doolmeonce

doolmeonce Member

Please don’t presume my ideology. I think republicans can be just as nonsensical and self serving, but we were discussing democrats/liberals. Forgive me for abbreviating. My ideology is allow one to prosper as much as they are willing to do so, all being treating equally, whether it’s taxation or marriage rights. And no one individual or entity deserves an advantage a subsidy, or a leg up. However, sometimes it is necessary and human to help those in need get to their feet, but should not be subsidized for life, unless mentally or physically unable to produce. The amount of ‘financial aid’ - tax credits, subsidies, or any of the ilk - is beyond insane, whether it’s an entity or individual. It encourages division, rather than equality.

I have no clairvoyance into any specific internal polls, but the results are often quite different than what is seen in the media. It matters how the question is framed and to whom the question is asked. But I’m sure you know that, even though you refute the idea that their lack of conviction might have something to do with the notion that their ideas are not, broadly, well-received.

Neither party currently has worthwhile message, which is why the power shifts, predictably, like a pendulum. You might think it is absurd that people vote the lesser of two evils. I disagree.

13. volinbham

volinbham Member

Yep. Obama basically said the same thing yesterday "I'm not changing". The difference I see is that now bills will move out of Congress and to the POTUS desk. Not sure they'll be any better environment though. Keystone will be interesting since previously a number of House Democrats and Senators have supported it (more than 10 in each House). Assuming those D Senators that supported it in the past still do you would likely have more than 60% of the Senate in favor along with probably 60% or more support in the House.

14. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Sharpton: Election A Defeat For Bill And Hillary Clinton, Not Obama

Al Sharpton attempted to defend President Barack Obama from criticism that he was a major factor in the Republican’s sweeping victory in the midterm elections by blaming the Clintons on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” Thursday.

Cokie Roberts pointed out how Obama “went to states and campaigned for candidates and they lost.”

“Very late,” Sharpton responded. “Cokie, he went out two weeks ago, while Clinton went all over the place. Is this a Clinton defeat? Bill Clinton and Hillary Clinton…the cavalry is coming in. Well, the cavalry got beat. Is this a Clinton defeat? I think we’re Obama obsessed.”

http://dailycaller.com/2014/11/06/s...-and-hillary-clinton-not-obama-video/?print=1

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

salon.com has already said the loss is racism related. shocked al didn't pull the same card.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

I do think this is bad for Hillary Clinton too. I don't know that she is electable at this point.

17. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I heard or read somewhere that is was a setback for the Dems because many of the up and comers they were looking to carry the flag into the future were beaten. They will have to find and groom a new batch.

18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

They have no leadership. Obama was the party. Now they're only left with ideologies.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

On the plus side, a lot of the Repub folks are probably national duds. Like that Colorado Springs retired Lt. who got elected to congress that says Obama is possessed by demons (which he will try to exorcise).

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Reid, Pelosi, et al were so entrenched in leading through the short term, they didn't grow the next generation. Unfortunately, voters/normal people don't get to weigh in on leadership within the parties. Seems to be all backroom parlor shit.