2015 Hoops Recruiting

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by dknash, Apr 8, 2015.

1. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Figure this makes more sense here than in the assistant thread. Copying a couple posts over. Also, I don't subscribe to Rivals/247, so any posts are going to be copy/pastes of copy/pastes. So you know it's good!

Nick King is possibly transferring from Memphis.

Marcus LoVett is a 4* PG who seems to be a possible academic risk. Gonna read between some lines and say that he was a silent to Tyndall. Though maybe that was a 2016 PG. Could be way off.

Ray Kasongo is a JUCO post. His last name rhymes with Kabongo, which could be an insurmountable advantage for Barnes.

Beyond that, I've seen Kobe Eubanks (SF, Barnes supposedly was recruiting him at Texas), Rob Gray (JUCO PG who visited during Tyndall's firing and still interested, but maybe not a priority?), and Mike Thorne (grad transfer post from Charlotte, where new assistant Dez Oliver was last season). I guess after that you can pretty much list every graduate transfer.

---

You can scratch Mike Thorne (or no?). His final 3? Illinois, Kansas, and Pitt. Looking at his numbers for Charlotte (but knowing nothing about the rosters) I just don't see it, especially for Kansas, but maybe they're all as hard up for competent post play as we are.

Also Johnathan Williams III from Mizzou is disallowed from transferring to SEC teams as well as teams Mizzou hates, so that's a non starter.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  2. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Not being able to transfer within conference is utter bullshit. Too many restrictions on these kids. And I'd say this even a player wanted to leave UT for Bama.

3. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Grad transfer USF PG Anthony Collins is a new name (to me). We are reportedly in the top 3 with Baylor and Georgetown. Three year starter who played a lot of minutes and has pretty good assist numbers. Basically missed 13-14 with knee swelling. Had a nice run in the 2012 NCAAT.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Athlete transfers should be no different than any other student transfers. If a player can attend a school, they should be eligible to get a scholarship and play. I don't know how we got to where we are, but it is wrong.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The reason for the transfer rules is in good spirit. It keeps coaches and boosters from buying a player from smaller schools.

The way they are applied are nonsensical.

6. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

You solve this by forcing the school to either grant a release, without stipulation, or to withhold it, entirely.

7. docholiday

docholiday Contributor

Yea the Big 12 schools and Zona.....Good job Mizzou you have become the dumpster trash in all of the power 5 conferences. You deserve all the misery headed your direction.

8. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Of note, there is currently a recruiting dead period that ends tomorrow at noon, so to whatever extent recruiting news isn't just people making shit up, expect movements on that front.

9. docholiday

docholiday Contributor

Good work DK

10. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Anyone on Texas' current commit list that we want, and may be able to flip?

11. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

only two commits, and Barnes is not trying to poach them. one is definitely sticking with Texas, and the other very likely was (last I heard)

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Barnes has said he is not going to recruit away commitments to Texas.

Just our luck, the damn guy has principles.

13. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

While I don't agree with it, I understand not allowing him to go to the Big 12. The SEC-Big 12 series means they will be playing someone from that league at least 2 of the 3 years Williams has left to play.

14. dknash

dknash Chieftain

15. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Eric Davis signed with Barnes at Texas and may not be as on board as had been reported. If he wants/gets out, Tennessee and Barnes would be a logical landing spot.

16. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

So, essentially, they want to **** with the kid's choices because of some fairly irrelevant non-conference, possible matchup in December?

17. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

I said I didn't agree with it, but I see what they are doing. If they thought Kansas would have had any interest, I completely understand it.

18. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I know, I wasn't accusing you. I just get unnerved by the amount of power these schools wield over the players. I think sitting out a year is a perfectly reasonable scenario for transferring schools. Going beyond this, dictating the terms of the transfer, when the school can, pretty much, dump the player at any time, is utterly asinine.

19. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

You know, I think one pretty simple change would make it a lot more equitable. If schools issued scholarships for the entirety of an athlete's career, there would be a lot more justification for restricting transfer. You commit to me for 4 years, I'll commit to you for 4 years, and if you break that commitment, there is a one year eligibility penalty.

As it is, the kid is penalized if he wants out, but the school isn't.

20. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Yep. And it is bullshit. 4 year scholly or gtfo.