2015 Hoops Recruiting

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by dknash, Apr 8, 2015.

1. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

What on earth makes you think it wouldn't be a punishment?

I don't see the relevance of the rhetoric.

No, and academic scholarships don't function that way either.

The one-and-done system has very little to do with the NCAA. Again, it's an NBA rule that's the reason for this phenomenon.

And that's just silly. With your proposition, you're basically wanting to deter top-tier talent from playing college basketball. Under an illusion of.. what? A more traditional version of college basketball?

2. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Izundu was released from his LOI by UNCC with no restrictions. Picked up a Crystal Ball prediction on 247 from Wes Rucker.

Apparently Rick Barnes was on Basilio today and said they were looking to sign 4 players. No idea if that includes Schofield and Phillips.

Speaking of Basilio, there were a couple hoops recruiting updates in today's post. Dazon Ingram is the only name new to this thread; he opened his recruitment after committing to Bama under Grant, but I doubt that Tennessee is doing anything more than rounding out his top 10.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

I agree with everything you've said on this, but would like to add that "scholarship limits" and APR things are completely the NCAA's rules. If providing 4 year scholarships to athletes made the NCAA or it's members feel those rules should be adjusted, so be it. If schools are afraid of having some sort of massive accumulation in scholarship years owed to guys who don't stay, who is that really reflecting on if not the school?

Scholarships should function as if the NFL/NBA/MLB didn't exist.

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Don't give me that ole! bullshit.

5. dknash

dknash Chieftain

As mentioned in another thread, 2016 commit Romello White has reopened his recruitment.

Both per Evan Daniels' Twitter:

6. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Dylan Ennis has a list of 8 schools: Purdue, Illinois, Tennessee, LSU, GT, Baylor, Oregon, and Duke.

According to Scout, we have shown interest in NC State transfer Kyle Washington, a 6'9" sophomore.

7. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Mike Thorne commits to Illinois.

Izundu is at Cincy this weekend. Anthony Collins is at Baylor. Ray Kasongo in Starkville.

Tookie Brown was mentioned in an update at VQ recently. Undersized PG that was a Mississippi St. commit and has been released from his LOI. The feeling I get is that this one is more speculation than solid info.

Grant Williams is the second announced 2016 offer for Barnes (that I recall seeing). Low 4/high 3 star 6'7" forward from NC with a UNCC offer.

8. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Collins is visiting Texas A&M this week. He's from Texas and is visiting two Texas schools. Hm.

9. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Are we going to sign anyone?

10. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Hopefully we stay in front with Izundu. Seems like he's blowing up a bit. Kentucky and Connecticut are showing interest according to his AAU coach. If we miss on him, there certainly isn't much noise about other 4-year recruits at the moment. I'll take a total guess and say we get Izundu, one of Collins/Ennis, and an old school sit out for a year transfer.

Barnes went to Thon Maker's (2015 5* 7-footer, probably Kentucky or Kansas) school in Canada today. Doubt it was for him, but maybe someone 2016 or 2017.

11. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Josh Bone's brother Jordan Bone just got an offer. 2016 PG.

12. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Looks like the trip was made to offer Kyle Alexander, an athletic 6'10" F with a 7'4" wingspan but relatively little experience. Tyndall used most of the traveling days (as was his prerogative), so it would stand to reason that unless everything is more or less sewn up (and that would be a very well-kept secret), each recruit visited is both a serious and realistic target.

Ennis's stepdad is an assistant at that school, as well as Alexander's AAU coach. Plot twist?

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

7' 4" wingspan, nice.

14. dknash

dknash Chieftain

How much trust do you put in someone who runs a website called canadianballers.com? More or less than the proprietor of canadianballs.com? At any rate, he advanced the possibility of Alexander and Ennis being a package deal to Tennessee on Twitter.

Andrew Rowsey is supposed to visit this weekend. Undergrad transfer from UNC Asheville. Only 5'11", but true to form is a good outside shooter and was something like 92% and #3 in the country in FTs. Is apparently going to visit the majority of all mid-tier power conference schools before deciding.

Izundu's HS coach pretty much badmouthed Tennessee, but Oliver's connection is to the AAU coach, and something must have led to Tennessee receiving some predictions. Still feels like it could be trending in the wrong direction. Looks like he's supposed to visit early next week now.

Kasongo is visiting for the O+W game.

Someone from the staff was supposed to go see 2016 5* C Abdul Ado today. Seen it suggested that he was a longshot, so it's a bit curious that they would use one of the few evaluation days there unless they feel OK about how 2015 is shaking out.

15. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

Hmmm... I'm not feeling it for 2015 signees. Maybe, Barnes has something brewing, but it's starting to seem a little Mulliganish for next season. I liked the Barnes hire more than many, but I must admit. I need a little hope for next season, not the season after next after next. I am getting too old for 2020 timelines.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He's been put in a really bad situation. Tyndall used the majority of the recruiting days and most prospects were scared of coming here due to Tyndall's investigation

17. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

I think Keith Easterwood has mentioned on Memphis radio as having a connection to this kid now that he lives in Chattanooga (coaching Chattanooga Elite). If he has any influence, just move along.

18. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Bunch of guys will be here this weekend. Just a little patience...

19. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

That wasn't a critique of Barnes. He was put in a tough situation. I was just hoping he could pull a couple of guys to make the team competitive. With Richardson gone, we need help.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's not over yet.