2015 remaining prospects

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by justingroves, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

We'd be similar to UF the years following their class of of Powell, Floyd, and Easley.

2. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

They have to upgrade the talent on both sides of the LOS. They have hit the skill positions in force but fixing the OL and DL is what will finish the puzzle.

3. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

I agree. Going the JUCO route at OL sounds great until you realize your anchor LT has motivation problems within a couple months of being on campus.

4. Beechervol

I didnt have a problem rolling the dice given the loss of the entire unit. And coming out he didnt seem like a big gamble. He needs to get his act together rather quick.

That unit can be decent given some time but the talent level needed is not there. They ll have to build the future on both sides from the HS ranks. Jucos are fine for patches.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Lead for Torrance Gibson, Tim Settle and Khalil McKenzie. That's nice

6. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

It is awesome.

But I am worried that Gibson isn't a QB and we end up empty handed at a position of need.

7. Beechervol

My thoughts exactly. He appears to be an elite talent but not necessarily at QB.

8. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I'll take him at QB.

9. NorthGaVol

NorthGaVol Vols, Bitch

I agree.

10. TennTradition

For what, the only option option? It's a new twist that Baja is working on.

11. NorthGaVol

NorthGaVol Vols, Bitch

Gibson's arm isn't nearly as "bad" as some make it out to be. It's actually very strong from what I've seen.

Accuracy can be fixed with mechanics but you can't teach the athleticism Gibson has combined with his strong arm.

Put it this way, if Nick Marshall (who is less athletic and has a weaker arm) can tear up the SEC in a read option offense*, then I have no doubt that Gibson could have similar success. Just my 2 cents.

*I say all this knowing that Malzahn is an offensive genius compared to Bajakian.

12. TennTradition

It is more just the reality that it will take that type of QB to succeed in this system that annoys me.

Gibson is a hell of a recruit so I don't want to be too hard on him. We'd be fortunate to sign him. I do question what that means at QB though.

13. NorthGaVol

NorthGaVol Vols, Bitch

Yeah good point. I remember when Worley went down last year, Butch mentioned that they couldn't use a big chunk of the playbook without a mobile QB.

I will say this about Gibson. I think he's one of the most intriguing prospects I've seen in a while. You watch his film and he stands out by a country mile compared to the rest of the players, and he's just flat out dominating one of strongest divisions of HS football in the country with his arm and legs.

This guy could be the next Brent Schaeffer or he could be the next Cam Newton/Vince Young. He's a gamble, no doubt, but he could be the program changer that UT desperately needs.

14. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

And to note on his off-field issues... both Cam and Vince had a history of off-field issues.

Point being we have to take a chance on a guy with his measurables.

15. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Bajak would ask Marshall to throw it 25+ times a game.

16. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

I'll gladly take a Schaeffer at this point.

17. Beechervol

Id take him and worry about that when the time comes. If its not QB he ll prolly fit in nicely somewhere else.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

DT Khalil McKenzie, DT DJ Jones, LB Quarte Sapp, DB Justin Martin, DB Cameron Ordway, DE Kyle Phillips, WR Van Jefferson, LB/DE Ricky DeBerry and QB/ATH Torrance Gibson could be how this class finishes up

19. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Excellent finish if so.

20. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

An OL. Hopefully Richmond.