2019 Lady Vols

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by YankeeVol, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Logically it makes no sense what so ever.

We are the top of women’s basketball in tradition and history. We just hired our coach from Missouri state

2. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

Cuonzo was from Missouri State. One of the best coaches in school history.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

You've never been on campus during a Lady Vol basketball game, have you?

4. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

Golden Corral buffet line

5. mmmjtx

mmmjtx Member

Spot on.

Basically, Fulmer gave the Lady Vols fans ( I think I read on here that someone called them the Lady Vol mafia (?)..) basically what they wanted: A disciple of Pat Summit, to continue on the "tradition". Besides, Fulmer had his hands full that last couple of days dealing with the Rick Barnes debacle.

Pat Summit was once a generation, possibly once a lifetime, coach. No matter how many people TN tries to hire who were associated with her, I do not think that that is a recipe of success. While it is possible to continue the Tennessee brand name, to associate with a Pat Summit disciple will not duplicate that success, or at least I haven't seen it. The sooner these LV fans realize that, the better off the women's basketball team will be.

I hope Kellie will be successful, but her record is mediocre at best. She has had some success on the mid-major level, but here record at NC State was not good. Eventually (and hopefully), TN will go after the best person available (not necessarily a woman, either), and then the brand name will flourish again.

6. TBSVOL

TBSVOL Member

if she could only develop "the stare"

mmmjtx likes this.
  7. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

The comments on 247 echo what’s on VN. Based on the average comments, I firmly believe The Bell Curve needs to be sharply adjusted.

8. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Summitt is the equivalent of Bear Bryant for the Lady Vols and they will spend two decades in mediocrity, perhaps, seeking her heir from anyone associated with her.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Pat seems like a very unique person. There aren't a lot of people, let alone coaches with that kind of aura. Trying to build everything the exact same way it was isn't going to work unless they find another Pat, which won't happen.

Poppa T and NorrisAlan like this.
  10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The stare is very scary.

11. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I took it as he understands how difficult of a bar Pat set and less of a negative. Not that he believes the program is completely in the tank but there are a lot of changes that have to now take place that haven't been present for a long time.
    He still has a very high opinion of her capabilities but also understands how big that position is, especially to a former player.

12. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

She understood people in a unique way that only the best do.

Poppa T likes this.
  13. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Kids and their parents are different nowadays. Pat was awesome, but unsure her style would work today with the entitlement generation. Too easy for players to quit or go on a twitter rampage to discuss their frustration as well.

14. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

Our 72 year old president [itch bay]es on Twitter constantly and the olds love him for it.

Entitlement generation my ass.

Kids with vape pens suck, though.

volfanjo likes this.
  15. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Its a different day and time than when Pat and Bobby Knight were coaching and their style wouldnt float with most players nowadays imo. The "positive reinforcement" starts at a young age now. Yelling and running kids till they puke was commonplace and isnt anymore.

16. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Is there a bigger, more high profile job in all of women’s athletics (pro or college) than HC of the Lady Vols? Maybe when Geno finally gives it up in Storrs but even then... I don’t think UConn is on the same level of significance as UT as far as women’s athletics goes.

17. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

UConn will turn into another Louisiana Tech/Old Dominion after Geno hangs it up.

18. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

We are there already.

19. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Yeah I don’t think it’s the kids. Wasn’t the kids melting down over that Izzo video

20. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

The stare was directed at me one day and I admit I was shook.

Otherwise, I knew her to be a genuinely nice person who cared about every single player, assistant coach, staff, and others around the AD.