23 NCAA Tournament Thread

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by CardinalVol, Mar 16, 2023.

1. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I prefer one like this over one with Kansas, Duke, UNC, Kentucky, UCLA, etc.

2. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

The semifinals seem boring, but the National Championship game will involve Owls or Aztecs playing for the title, and that will be worth a watch for sure.

justingroves likes this.
  3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Without the Vols, I don't think I even like sports.

4. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I definitely punch out on the ncaa tournament after we lose. I did watch the last 2 seconds of creighton & whoever

5. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

My give-a-damn is busted

6. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I watch but I watch all sports I can. Think casual fans would be surprised to see teams go thru droughts and runs just like we did. Teams left have more dudes who know how to play. Look at Miami coach. He’s not coaching much during action. He’s watching his players make plays.

7. VOLinDAWGland

Got to have a couple of guys who can attack the basket. Shooters goin to have cold stretches. Just like defense, rim attackers travel.

utvol0427 and Ssmiff like this.
  8. JohnnyQuickkick

Yeah you navigate those FG droughts by getting to the FT line, which we didn’t do much

9. Ssmiff

And by clearing out and let a player take over. We need 2 or 3 of them and had zero. Well Mashack but you can’t have him high on option list shooting 60% fts. Not one other player could face up and make some moves to finish or draw the d and kick out. Backing down and shooting fades out only options with jjj, key and ON

10. JohnnyQuickkick

Mashack will shoot a lot better than 60% next year is my guess

11. Ssmiff

just needs to back up 3-6 inches. Almost all of his misses long. PG for KSU backed off it a bit. He found his comfort range and shoots a high %. Mashack really does need to do the same. Same stroke this year and he’s shooting 80% from further back.

12. VOLinDAWGland

Also with our great defense and forced TOs we should be getting a dozen easy points on FBs per game. FBs and FTs from attacking the basket should produce an extra 10-20 ppg. We're likely in the final four with 10-20 more ppg. Do it coach Barnes.

13. VOLinDAWGland

Go get a couple runners/slashers

14. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

At least this year there is only 1 team that I hope loses (UConn) and there are 3 teams I am ok if they win. Usually, it is 4 teams that I don't really want to succeed.

15. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

There was some discreet chuckling that there are 2 Florida schools not named gators. In my mind, they (gators) are crying.

16. JohnnyQuickkick

Its kind of amazing how few fb points we got to how many TOs we created but I swear it seemed like half our steals happen in the charge circle

A-Smith likes this.
  17. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Once Bammer lost, the only other school I was pleased to see ousted was Texsucks. Any of these 4 teams left I really have no issue with personally other than [uck fay] Geno for how he treated Pat Summit like an ass on the recruiting trail. Wasn't a fan of Calhoun's ethicless-ness self either per say, but have no reason really to despise the Uconn men otherwise now.

I will say a potential Miami/FAU final boggles the mind. Be like if one year randomly Vanderbilt played MTSU for a basketball natty. Only in college basketball can such absurd national title matches like that potentially unfold. Any D1 basketball team theoretically having a chance to win the whole enchilada is what makes college basketball awesome.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2023
  18. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Spin Zone: at least it's FAU and NOT Memphis who were the ones to eventually put us away on the way to a Final Four birth. A world where Penney's Memphis brigade had the satisfaction of putting us out on the way to a Final Four is a world I could not have endured in.

Hell, being put out by Purdue considering our recent history would have STUNK a lot more than losing to this Cinderella FAU team too. FAU also not having an immortal occultist nun making blood deals with Satan along the way in exchange for favorable rim bounces also greatly helps me not to resent this particular team that happened to snuff out our season. It's not FAU's fault they wanted an offensive rebound more than we did...

19. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Yeah, UConn gets my Gino-proximity disgust.

Tourney ball is another animal.

20. OneForVol

OneForVol Well-Known Member

If you just gave me Kenny and Barkley I’d be entertained.