A Look into PSU sanctions

Discussion in 'Sports' started by InVolNerable, Jul 23, 2012.

1. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

so because that happened there's need to punish thousands more that had absolutely nothing to do with it?

2. Daddy Gee

Daddy Gee Chieftain

The university leadership - that was hired and maintained there by the university - turned a blind eye to child rape for > 10 years. Burn them to the ground.

3. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

Yeah... Fine. Go after the university leadership. All the NCAA is accomplishing by this is ****ing the innocent players, coaches and fans. Great job by the NCAA (as usual).

4. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Two wrongs don't make a right.

5. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

For those who doubt that Tennessee could take any Penn State players without breaking it's 85-man roster limit, or having scholarships available, just saw this from the 'AA's Lemmert:

"Obviously, the ability to transfer and be immediately eligible will apply to incoming as well as enrolled student athletes," Lennon said. "And as you heard from President Emmert, for those who want to stay in school and not participate in football, their scholarships will need to be honored, and they can complete their education there."

Additionally, even if a Penn State player wants to transfer to a school that is already at its 85-scholarship cap, the NCAA said it would work with institutions on a case-by-case basis to facilitate that transfer."

He also goes on to say that if a player wants to transfer to a school that does not have an available scholarship, that the school would be allowed to back-count the transferring players scholarship to the following season.

If [ddiapos] is not in State College by nightfall, and doesn't return with several players, he is doing it wrong.

Link: http://mobile.pennlive.com/advpenn/pm_29240/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=R0u047Nv

6. Daddy Gee

Daddy Gee Chieftain

Leadership includes those in the football program. The football program facilitated and covered up child rape.

The NCAA had their say (and may have more). I believe the Big Ten is going to weigh in today as well. I guess I could see the state of PA also having a say in sanctioning PSU.

7. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Whose lives have been ruined by this?

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I understand your point and part of me agrees with you. At the same time, just because, the NCAA had to do SOMETHING. They could not just sit here and let this play out and say it was out of their hands.

Unfortunately, when there are issues of this magnitude in any system, a lot of innocent people are going to get caught in the carnage. At the end of the day though, I still don't blame the NCAA. JoePa and the Penn State administration could have taken care of this a long time ago with only minor embarrassment. They chose not to and look the other way for the sake of the image of the football program. I don't know whether to say irony or oops at this point.

I do agree with you that I don't trust the NCAA with this money either. I hope this fund is ran by an independent and outside organization and annual audits are released to the public.

9. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

You're not saying anything that you didn't say the first time. Those in the football program now had nothing to do with the matter. Why punish them because of what someone else did or didn't do?

If you're boss got caught embezzling money, he would be arrested and most likely fired. Now, you get the promotion to take your boss's old spot. But with that promotion the company you work for cuts funding for your department by 80% in order to make up for the lost money your boss stole, plus some just because.. Instead of 5 guys under you, you now have one, yet you still have to do all the work. Is that fair?

10. Daddy Gee

Daddy Gee Chieftain

lmao at the assertion that somehow the university as an entity is somehow just floating out there in space somewhere. Meanwhile, the president and other officials and the leadership of the football program covered up the initial crimes and enabled Sandusky to rape more children thru the 2000's. But since all of those people are gone, we can just go on with our lives. Nothing to see here......

11. fl0at_

Then punish the people that did it, not them and everyone else. Ruin the lives of those who allowed lives to be ruined, but don't ruin everyone else by nuclear strike when more finite methods exist.

It becomes petty and ridiculous, otherwise.

12. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

It's a criminal matter. Let the assholes that did this be tried in court and punished judicially. It's not a football matter or even an athletics matter. The NCAA isn't accomplishing anything to those that matter by doing this.

13. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Players who want to play for Penn State can still play for Penn State. Players who don't can transfer.

Coaches knew something was coming before taking the job. They should have protected themselves in their Contract. If they did not then shame on them and their agents.

Fans can still be fans.

14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Also, I don't feel sorry for any coach who signed on to coach there who didn't have a big out clause in his contract in case something like this happened. That's just stupid, and borderline negligent on the agent's part.

15. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

wow, you can say assholes. awesome.

16. fl0at_

Couldn't you just, I don't know, file charges against them?

This is the equivalent of burning Iraq to the ground because Saddam was evil. This is your belief?

17. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

1. The $60M must be paid to a foundation that serves to support victims of child *** abuse, and to prevent it. Also, the 'AA specifically forbids this enterprise from being university ran or sponsored (so they really will be shelling out $60M and not just starting an internal program with that budget amount).

2. This has no bearing on whatever financial restitution Penn State may be required to pay or provide the victims of Sandusky's actions and the University's cover-up, via the civil suits already filed.

18. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Whose lives have been ruined by this?

19. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

That sounds all well and good, but most players signed up for PSU because it was deemed a fantastic school and a wonderful place to play football. Now they are told to look elsewhere or play for what will be the shittiest team in college football. That's not fair to the players at all.

20. fl0at_

At the moment? The incoming class.

Are you naive enough to think it won't ruin lives? Then just what do you think it accomplishes?