Appeals board rules, cancels Redskins trademark

Discussion in 'Sports' started by OrangeEmpire, Jun 18, 2014.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I'm. Not. Hispanic.......

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Me thinks thou dost protest too much!

3. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

He does get his thong backwards doesn't he

4. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Then where does the European portion of you come from if it isn't from Spain?

5. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

He's probably a Portuguese or a Greek.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I would laugh

7. JayVols

All over really.

It's long, but really good info.

http://www.jogg.info/72/files/Estes.htm

I know the Jack Goins talked about. Well. Here's some info on him:

http://nativeheritageproject.com/2013/08/19/jack-goins-new-blog-melungeon-and-appalachian-research/

More & not as long and scientifically detailed:

http://therevivalist.info/melungeon-mystery-solved/

I am of the Hawkins County Melungeons. I have several of the physical traits common to the group: dark skin, a knot on the back of my head at the base of the skull where it meets the spine and my two top front teeth have a ridge at the gum line and they form a shovel pattern on the back while looking perfectly straight in the front. There's more but I'll stop there so not to bore you. We are a very interesting case study.

In summary, we don't have all the info...yet. We come from a wide variety of cultures and people. The picture isn't fully painted yet. But Northern & Central Europe/Sub-Saharan Africa/Native American/Euroasian/Middle Eastern/Indian isn't Spain. Therefore, I'm. Not. Hispanic.

8. JayVols

The Portuguese angle has been fairly well debunked I think. Partial Greek ancestry is still a possibility.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  9. Maybe, so it's congruent with their new name, but this ruling was only about the name. I think initially they'll keep the logo but with a new name, or they'll go by their 'legal name' the Washington Football Club, a la European soccer. Maybe the logo's will be challenged next, though.

10. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

No one here thinks that the government shouldn't be able to do this? After all the first coach of the Redskins was Indian, thus Redskins.

11. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

A uniter, not a divider. Everyone wins!

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I don't think it's the govt's job to decide what they name themselves. They are already dealing with the consequences of keeping the name. I do think they should change it though.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Gross

14. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Old habits die hard for the mountain folk.

15. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I was waiting for somebody else to go there

16. JayVols

Why you gotta hate? Although I do understand. A buddy is married to a full Greek woman. I don't care for her. Of course it could be that she's an upitty Yankee too.

Greek is not one of the likely possibilities in my group. In fact, it's next to zero. My bunch has stronger Northern/Central European & Sub-Saharan Africa markers than anything.

17. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I think he was referring to the 'incestry' part.

18. JayVols

Ah.

Didn't see that.

Haha.

Fixed.

But I really don't care for the Greeks....

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Not after meeting and working with the Seminole and Ute tribes. It is fine. Certain practices were ended, others altered, and the tribes gave their blessing.

The Illini just flat out said no (it was not really the Illini being represented by school images/logos), so Illinois had to adjust.

20. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

So what legal action will the Redskins take over their expected loss of revenue from forced change of name/logo? That is assuming anyone still gives a shit about Capitalism in this country.