Better WR Debate: Hunter or CP

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by lylsmorr, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Hunter is the more obvious to leave. When you get a chance to go pretty high (which I think he will) its hard to turn down after you have made it back from major knee surgery. Add to that a kid to support and it makes it even harder. He may surprise me, but I don't see it.

Bray and Patterson both could increase their stock by coming back.

2. g8terh8ter_eric

g8terh8ter_eric Contributor

I would prefer Patterson comes back, but won't lose any sleep if he leaves as well. Patterson reminds me of Devin Hester, but just not quite as polished yet. One has to wonder as well, if a new coach is going to happen, and it's gotta happen IMO, if others won't leave as well, even with a not so hot draft grade. Kids may be tired of change, and being students.

3. Milo

Milo New Member

Hunter's draft status has been taking hits. He needs to shine the remainder of the season. Needs to work on the alligator arms, ill-timed jumps (w/ DB's), inconsistency, etc.

4. Volnbama

Volnbama Contributor

Patterson and Bray would both benefit greatly under Gruden

5. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I see almost no scenario where Patterson returns.

6. g8terh8ter_eric

Hunter still leads the team in receptions and receiving yards. He's been inconsistent, but it normally takes 2 years to fully come back from an ACL injury. People jumping on Hunter are just trying to deflect from the disaster that Sal Sunseri has made our defense.

7. g8terh8ter_eric

Bray, possibly. Patterson, not so sure. I don't even know how Bray would develop enough discipline to play under Gruden's system. I could see Peterman being a stud in it though.

8. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

take away all the junk 5-10 yard catches Hunter has made once it doesn't matter because Bray is too concerned about getting Hunter the ball instead of CP makes that a moot point. Hunter is still incredibly afraid of contact.

9. g8terh8ter_eric

I agree in a sense, but Bray also doesn't do a good job protecting his WRs with his throws. That's been a big problem with Bray during his career. Sure, some catches are just difficult to make, but it seems like Bray just tries to make the WR make a play, instead of trying to lead them effectively at times. He's not getting really pressured either, so I have no clue the problem with that.

10. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

There have been plenty of throws that Bray has made that only Hunter could catch but he didn't go out for them. Not to mention the Alabama debacle. Bray has been far from perfect, but to protect Hunter by blaming Bray is laughable at best.

11. g8terh8ter_eric

Not protecting Hunter, but people I think have been somewhat unfair to a guy who tore his ACL just over a year ago. Hunter is a heck of an athlete, but he's probably still got some confidence things to work out. Still, for a guy who didn't play but 2 real games last year, he's doing pretty well.

12. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Hunter's being a pansy. Not saying I would do differently in the same situation, but it doesn't change the fact.

13. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

good to see you haven't changed. You're still wrong, incredibly wrong, but you always stick to your guns. Hunter has been a joke.

14. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Hunter hasn't been worth a damn this year.

15. g8terh8ter_eric

No one is even close to Hunter in receptions and yards. He's still on pace to have a 1,000 yard season, after tearing his ACL the year before. You can say he hears footsteps much louder now, and I agree with you. You can even say he's played scared some this year, and I would agree with that at times as well. However, he's done well for what he had to rehab to get to, and yet people expected him to come back like he was never injured in the first place. That's really unfair to place on him. He just had 8 catches against USCe, which was almost 30% of Bray's competitions, and he's caught over 27% of all of Bray's completions this year. I think that's pretty damn good, even though he's been inconsistent at times.

16. g8terh8ter_eric

To be honest, Patterson has been more of a let down in the passing game, than Hunter has this year to me.

17. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

again though, it's because Bray targets him FAR more than any other receiver and when it's garbage time, Hunter picks up the easy short yard gains. How many of Bray's attempts have gone to Hunter vs the rest of the team?

18. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

you've said a lot of dumb stuff in your message board time, but this takes the cake pizza boy.

19. g8terh8ter_eric

Don't know, but I would say that Patterson's drops against UF and UGA, have been far more season altering, than any of Hunter's have. I do agree that Bray targets Hunter way too much, but Hunter is still the best WR on the team, and I think we miss Da'Rick, and Hunter misses Da'Rick, more than most would have thought.

20. g8terh8ter_eric

Zach Rogers is doing better as a WR than Patterson is. Patterson should be dominating more, and he's not, especially not as a WR. He's averaging less YPC, than Hunter, Rogers, and Rivera. I'm not saying he sucks, or anything close, but he's had his share of problems catching the ball as well.