Better WR Debate: Hunter or CP

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by lylsmorr, Oct 31, 2012.

1. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

brand new player to the system and he's the only one, save maybe Zach who goes all out on every play. He's been nothing but a brilliant surprise. You expecting perfection out of him, fits you perfectly, but any one with the slightest knowledge knows you can't expect that from him.

2. g8terh8ter_eric

g8terh8ter_eric Contributor

Yet, people should expect Hunter to perform to All-American standards, after tearing his ACL last year?? Look, Hunter has played bad at times, I do agree, but he's been playing well, especially given that he's been used as a decoy more in the redzone, than most would have expected. I haven't seen him targeted much down there.

I don't expect perfection at all, but with someone with his talents, and the fact that he's not really stepped up to the player most thought he could be, it seems as if he under achieved somewhat.

3. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

CP got off the bus and was the best offensive weapon on the team. He has dropped one pass this year. It was for a touchdown, sure, but one. He made up for it in that game with a masterful run for a touchdown on a broken play.

I'm not sure CP knows if the playbook is right-side up or upside down, but it's amazing what happens when he actually gets to touch the football. It's criminal negligence his talents haven't been fully exploited.

MaconVol likes this.
  4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Truthiness

5. g8terh8ter_eric

Don't forget the TD he dropped against UGA too. That one may have won us the game.

I agree that he's not be used to his fullest potential as well.

6. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

don't forget his end around TD in that game and the jukes he used to get into the end zone.

MaconVol likes this.
  7. g8terh8ter_eric

No doubt. He broke a lot of ankles on that play.

Patterson is a gifted player no doubt, but still has some work to do at WR.

8. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

don't forget that he is the first Vol in centuries to return a kickoff for a touchdown.

9. g8terh8ter_eric

He's very Devin Hesteresque.

10. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

What other dropped pass are you referring to? Florida? Surely not.

11. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

Any drop by Patterson pales in comparison to several of the passes where Hunter was simply to afraid to extend his arms or most notably his inconceivable drop against Bama right before the half. The game was easily still in reach and he came nowhere close to catching it. To say Patterson has been more of a disappointment is just dumb. There's no other word for it.

12. RoadTrip

RoadTrip New Member

I agree with the it's too early to judge Hunter yet crowd. If you have experienced an ACL reconstruction it is a 2 year deal until you get it all back and full confidence. Some, like Lane, go longer if at all before they trust it. At this point Hunter is just an average route runner except on the dig route. He is one of the best at that. CP looks to me to just depend on natural talent. Have no clue what he will do. I guess they will get evaluated and make a decision after the season. Will see if Gruden can influence them.

13. alumvol08

alumvol08 Active Member

Except for the fact he's 6'3 205......

14. g8terh8ter_eric

Yes. Watching the play live in the stands, he should have caught the ball. When they showed the replay, I thought the same thing. It wasn't the easiest of catches, but one he should have made.

15. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

you're really throwing that pass out there as evidence he's been more disappointing than JH? How do you defend JH's drops? I'm not even certain that play was considered a dropped pass

16. g8terh8ter_eric

Drops are drops, no matter who has them. The fact that Hunter has more, because he's been targeted more, is just part of it. I think Hunter is doing just fine this year, but I do agree that he's not done as well as he is capable of doing.

17. g8terh8ter_eric

Why does it have to be about defending Hunter?? Hunter is the best WR on the team, and he's played scared at times, but coming off of a ACL can have that effect on anyone. He's still our most effective weapon in the passing game.

18. Vol2424

Vol2424 Contributor

Patterson has shown up in the big games. Hunter , not so much.

19. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

what about Hunter's inexplicable drop on the 3 and out at the beginning of the fourth against UF? We were only down a TD at that point and that pass was easily catchable.

20. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

It's not a Hunter vs. Patterson issue... it's the expectations game. Patterson surprised; Hunter disappointed at times. But it's obvious that this Justin Hunter isn't the same kid that made unbelievable catches against the likes of Oregon and LSU his freshman year. It was so effortless then. He's really gotta work at it now. It's sad; hate it for him.