Bill Gates is worried about artificial intelligence too

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by VolDad, Jan 29, 2015.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Clearly, cause all you smug *******s seem to think it is going to happen, and that we're doomed.

2. fl0at_

Let's talk about how Planet of the Apes comes to pass. The singular event when they gain consciousness and are able to use all of our tools against us.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

You are the Thomas Malthus of computing.

4. fl0at_

Maybe the non human primates that code the first conscious machine will go easy on me.

5. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

I think it is possible to happen, but can be avoided. If I interpret your posts correctly, you are certain it cannot so why worry.

6. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

You have gotten almost as much mileage out of this as billy Ray got out of achy breaky heart

7. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

If comments about your aversion to the vagina were actual mileage, I'd be a Prius.

Always run a play until the opponent stops it.

8. fl0at_

I put the likelihood up there with other primates gaining consciousness.

A thinking, learning, adapting AI is feasible, and not far off. One with the mind of Einstein and the aggression of Hitler and the subtlety of Stalin is not only exceedingly unlikely, but prohibitory.

9. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

It's just funny that this is all built on a story Card fabricated about 85% of for his own amusement

10. JayVols

Isn't that the way it works?

11. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Speaking of Card, where's he been? Doesn't seem like he's been on much lately.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

For the record, I don't even believe the story. The reference just sticks. Like NYY's assless chaps on leather.

13. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

There is a creative element being attributed to AI that simply isn't true.

14. JayVols

I'm still waiting on the cars from the Jetsons.

15. JayVols

I'm also eagerly awaiting the instant restaurant quality pizza maker thingy from Back to the Future II. I truly love me some good pie.

16. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

How can you know it isn't true when we don't have AI?

18. fl0at_

Are you arguing for or against belief in a higher diety, here, or just musing?

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Purely musing. What I'm seeing as the crux of this is some do not think we can artificially duplicate the workings of a single human brain, ever. I don't understand how one can claim that. Hell, we could just grow a human brain and use it as the platform, even if it were so special.

20. fl0at_

Millions of years of evolution has only produced one. I think it is ego that makes it believable that we can produce the same in under a century, not the other way around.