BMW set to launch hydrogen engines by 2025

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by VolDad, Feb 7, 2024.

1. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I was not aware that this technology existed; much less how far down the road we (mankind) are with this technology.

While the entire world was gradually moving towards electric vehicles (EVs), Toyota was the only major carmaker who stuck to developing their hydrogen-powered engines. And in a sudden turn of events, another giant car manufacturer, BMW is set to move towards the same technology.

BMW is among the few manufacturers actively pursuing hydrogen technology and plans to roll out hydrogen-powered cars by 2025.

https://www.dhakatribune.com/business/338624/bmw-bids-farewell-to-electric-cars-set-to-launch

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

There are serious concerns with hydrogen being a Trojan horse for continued fossil fuel production because blue hydrogen is far cheaper than green or gold hydrogen. Blue= byproduct of oils and gas extraction, green= generated with renewable electricity (lose energy in the process), and gold= direct extraction from the Earth.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

But signs are that hydrogen is going to get a real shot at becoming mainstream

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Also, I knewca guy working for an oil company in Denver who had a hydrogen car. It kind of sucked, low energy density so no gitty up. The hydrogen fuel cells solve that.

5. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Toyota is big on hydrogen too and don’t believe the electric car will stay.

market seems to be indicating that too.

Fossil fuel isn’t going anywhere either at least not in our lifetimes

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

7. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I've read some about Mazda working on a rotary engine fueled by hydrogen as a range extender for a plug-in hybrid. Apparently, hydrogen as a fuel for rotary engines inherently solves some of the challenges gas powered rotaries face, but don't ask me to explain it or find the links to that rabbit hole. This has just about zero percent chance of going anywhere unless Toyota decides there's value in it, but you have to admire Mazda's love for the rotary.

8. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Brown = product of oil and gas products
    Blue = Brown with carbon capture

9. TennTradition

I remember being in Norway about 18 years ago and seeing the opening of a hydrogen refueling station and hydrogen cars lined up at it for the first day.

10. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Honda released a hydrogen fuel cell car in the US in the early 00s. Lack of infrastructure killed it along with the market move toward hybrids.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Jesus, hadn't heard of brown.

12. TennTradition

It didn’t have a name because it was just the way you make hydrogen but when they decarbonized it they introduced blue and brown. There is also pink hydrogen (nuclear)

13. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Those old RX-8s could scoot too. I think ultimately poor fuel efficiency and emissions sank it but I always wanted one.

14. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Me either.

I like that we are at least exploring alternative solutions.

15. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I wanted one too. Maintenance reputation was also terrible. You can see them on Craigslist or Facebook marketplace fairly regularly, but I'm in no place to own something like that presently. They're a somewhat popular candidate for an LS swap, but I'm not into that either.

16. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Could they offer all 3 kind of like the grades of gas right now? Then maybe the government could give rebates to the people using the grade that is best for the environment? Just a thought.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

That would be complicated and cost to all of them. If we are gonna do it then it should face the customer as a single stream to give it a chance. It could be balanced where you guarantee it is x% green or no more than x% brown/blue

18. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

That makes more sense. Blend it to come up with a product that is affordable and better for the environment then our current resources. Would be the best solution. Imo

19. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Can we please stop the ethanol bullshit too.

That has to be the dumbest shit we do

20. TennTradition

You know I had never thought of this but offering blue and green at different prices based on their cost would be interesting. What’s wild is it’s the same damn hydrogen but all you are buying is the carbon attribute. Effectively stations could only sell the portion of each they bought and companies could only sell them what they make of each. But it’s the same hydrogen storage unit - the company just had to track how much of each they sell. It’s accounting.

I left out brown because you might as well just use gasoline.