BOT Meeting/Booster (rumored meeting)/Renovations

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Beechervol, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

What is the take away from the Neyland Renovation passage in regards to booster pressure (assuming its needed) on UT to fix football?

There is a ton a speculation out there (some of it posted here) on everyone that matters being on the same page or pulling the same direction. There are others that see too much focus on Neyland's face lift by Currie instead of the next football coach hire. Some are pitching the boosters using the Renovation project (their funding of it) as leverage to get the next coach right. Some think there is a struggle between some of the boosters to get what (or who) they want.

What say you?

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I've arrived at the position, with some help, that the booster war is just being all smokescreeny and whatnot.

snoball5278 likes this.
  3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Would you spend 340 million on a 96 year old building then roll out a shitty football team?

That's my take away from it.

Also, if they're fighting, they aren't agreeing to pony up money to work on a stadium.

4. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Quite possible

5. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

The Haslem's need to disappear

TangoUniform and Volalum like this.
  6. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Interesting question and one that may need its own thread... a lot of these cathedrals of college football are getting long in the tooth... at what point does a University say "we need to go ahead and build a new stadium"??? And if so, where (in UT's case) would you even put it?

7. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

There is a lot of smoke screeny. Last week, the Haslam's are selling Gruden their house in Knoxville; this week the Haslams are the hold-up, they don't want to lose control.

8. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Its like a magician, look at this hand

9. Beechervol

Devil's advocate.

If anyone tried it, It wouldn't be hard to convince me that UT would be the first to do it.

Having said that, it makes good sense, in that its a selling point to a lot of people, new coach, fans, recruits. And I think both can be accomplished.

10. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I agree with this part. I am not sure about the first part. They dumped 200 million dollars into it between 2005-2012. They let Butch Jones and ddiapos prance around in it.

tvolsfan likes this.
  11. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't understand the purpose of subterfuge and delay.

ptclaus98 and snoball5278 like this.
  12. Beechervol

It may just be me but the Gruden flames are not as hot as 2012. From the standpoint that everybody is forced to discuss it at every turn which forces people to pick a side on it. Im not sure how much screening they really need to do this time around, at least not at this point.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It was approved while Tennessee was coming off a national title and draining the swamp.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

You wouldn't, you keep working on it.

Neyland designed a hell of a building

warhammer, snoball5278 and A-Smith like this.
  15. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

They let the piece of shit put his dumb mug on the back of the jumbotron.

16. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

These renovations are the solution. NFL builds new stadiums, college does not. Mainly because of the history, but also because of campus planning and real estate value.

17. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

That makes sense. Big difference between pro and college sports in that regard. I would hope Neyland lives on long after we've all gone on to our reward but you never know...

snoball5278 likes this.
  18. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

It should. Someone else mentioned it, but Neyland is an anvil. Structurally it has capacity for a 3rd deck. The accessibility issues can be addressed. Biggest problems are some of the tight corridors in the lower level/old stadium. Those can be fixed as well.

19. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

Gawd, can you imagine Neyland with a third deck? If we could fill it, it would be bad ass.

Would love to see an artist rendering of it.

20. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

I don’t think that would ever happen. Better to have a packed 110k than not sold out 140k. And people are staying home more now than ever before.

snoball5278 likes this.