Buying a new car. Advice?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by DarthVisor, Feb 21, 2014.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

White (or at least was) with a scuffed front bumper and mysterious tiny dents by the back driver side window on the side that I think are from tree limbs.

2. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Thought we might have matching cars

3. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I would not go with the Compass. If I'm going SUV and my cap is $25k and I'm buying new, I'd buy an XTerra. I had an '08 that I drove the last two years of undergrad and through law school, and it has 100k on it and looks and drives like brand new. I gave it to my Dad when I began work because it was eating me up in gas. If you have to drive a significant distance, I'd really consider getting a car. My car, thus far, has paid for itself in the savings in gas.

If you're considering used, I'd go with the 4runner. Absolutely fantastic automobile and nicer than the XTerra.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  4. IP

IP Super Moderator

My previous vehicle was a '94 Ford Ranger that was hunterish green with a red pin stripe. Totaled it avoiding a dog on I-75. Should have just hit the dog, but I'm a softy.

5. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

I'm the same way

I've been chastised to hammer down next time

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

What is the MPG on SUV's these days?

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I also regret not hitting the dog because I didn't (in the moment) think of the possibility of completely losing control and endangering people around me. That didn't happen, but the potential is there when traveling at 65 mph and swerving into the median.

But to be fair, there were 3 or 4 tards running along the interstate trying to catch the dog, and the whole situation was not good.

8. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Also, for tips on negotiating:

1.) Know what the car you want is worth. Pull the KBB and Edmund's on it.
    2.) If you're trading, know what your trade is worth.
    3.) If you're trading, don't tell them you're trading until you already have their bottomline on what they would sell the car to you outright.
    4.) Then ask them what they could give you on the trade and demand they give you bluebook.
    5.) If you're not trading, search a car dealership that lists the car you want for the price you want and take it with you to another car dealership and tell them to match it or you're going to go to the other place and buy it. (The caveat is that most of the great deals on dealership websites are horseshit because "they just sold that one" or it includes some hidden catch, but the place you're going won't know that and I would pretend that I've already figured out that I can indeed buy it for that price at the other dealership.)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  9. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

My Xterra got about 15 mpg when I lived in Memphis. It was terrible. It got about 17 when I began work and it was killing me in gas. And, the XTerra was a V6. There's really no difference in gas mileage on lots of those SUVs whether you have a V6 or a V8.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Damn, didn't realize it was still so bad. I could never afford that.

11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

They're getting better. We get right at 21 with our explorer and its four wheel drive

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

We had a 94 danger ranger. It was indestructible

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

My step sister is still driving my 97 ranger

14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I sold it, but it's still going strong. I'm a Ford man.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

I bent the axle in such a way that it wasn't worth replacing.

16. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I get 21 Hwy with my Jeep, 4wd as well. It could be worse

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

That ain't bad, but I wouldn't want to commute with it.

18. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Go to a dealership after a hailstorm. Buy a new vehicle with a few fixable dents for an absurd mark down. That's what I did.

19. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Our Forester gets around 28 mpg.

20. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Be clear I was speaking of being in sales where impressions count. I have been driving a 2000 Miata since 2001. When I was selling I drove a Mercedes.