Carolina Jr Thoughts

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Oct 1, 2023.

1. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Jake should be along shortly to set you guys straight with that dumbass nickname and reminde you Nico is going to leave if he doesn't play this year.

2. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Why, yes. Yes, we have.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

We've seen a lot of bad.

a lot of bad.

4. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

If he could eliminate half of the three and outs he's responsible for, this team would be VERY hard to beat from here on our.

A-Smith, Tar Volon and justingroves like this.
  5. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

I could live with one dumb turnover a game if he could keep more drives going in the second half.

A-Smith likes this.
  6. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Credit where credit is due, Freak’s commitment to immediately uploading every game in its entirety to his YouTube account is 100x more useful than his VolNation website has been for a decade+. His YouTube channel is well worth subscribing to

SetVol13, justingroves and NorrisAlan like this.
  7. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

I am confused by our 1st series play selections this year, which seems to put us at risk for 3 and outs. At least that is what it seems to me. It could be coaching, it could be failure to execute, it could be a combination. Fix that shit and win. Not every SEC (team) is gonna be as incompetent as UsC.

justingroves likes this.
  8. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Two quick screens/short passes and a run seemingly is the combo of plays we always do on the first series of a game. Although I believe we have scored a TD on our first drive each P5 game at least this year (I already forget if we scored or not on our first drive vs Peay and UTSA) Last Saturday our WRs/TEs made some fairly difficult clutch catches on non perfectly placed balls coming at them at 95 mph during the 1st series or two early in that first drive that ended in a Wright HR TD run. We were fortunate imo each receiver made all those catches in a row at the beginning of that drive.

9. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Thanks. I probably should have been more precise. I did not mean 1st series of game(s). I meant 1st series of every possession (specically the ones we end up going 3 and out on that series).

I will say, I have enjoyed the relative success of the swing/bubble/short passes under Heuple compared to the previous dumbazzes. It is amazing what you can do when you have blockers out there for the receiver. Under the other guys it seemed (hyperbolically, I suspect) we always had 1 rcvr alone dealing with 2 or 3 defenders.

10. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

I gotcha now.

And yea. As someone who grew up horse cussing all those lame ass WR quick screens we constantly used that often never worked that great under Randy Sanders and Cutcliff, JH’s screen game has been a pleasant surprise. Although I’m incredibly concerned about losing Bru as a main blocker on those things. He is one of those rare WRs like Jennings was who actually LOVES blocking someone in front of him into the 3rd row every damn time. He sprang a lot of stuff for us the past two years on quick screens and runs. I fear that no longer having his impeccable blocking will be a huge loss for us moving forward this year with that part of our offensive strategy

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Pretty sure the screens are about how the defense is lining up.

12. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Yeah I think they do that when they see a 3 on 2 outside

13. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

That was an ass whipping Saturday and that dude is a no show after his stupid nickname seen 100 times leading up to the game. And his Nico stance is dumb. Everybody in Nicos camp knew what this year is about which is preparing to take the reigns over for 2 years.

14. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Screens will decrease. We liked Bru out there blocking and we knew he was good for 7-10 yards when catching one. We won’t leave Nimrod out there depending on him to block for Squirrel like Bru did. I like the idea of more out of the backfield to 10 in motion or back the other way to 6 in space.
    I also believe we had more screens because we weren’t as strong at C and G as we thought and had a RT out a bit so we wanted to get the ball out quick and safe for chunks at a time.

15. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

This makes sense.

Bru is one of those TEs that could catch and block. And recognized the importance of doing either when the circumstances demanded it. He is a class act and teammate. I hope he recovers and is able to realize his NFL goals.

16. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

I could see them moving one of TEs out there. Feels like we're targeting TEs more this year. Still working out some bugs there, but good to see. If it finally starts clicking with Castles and Warren, look out.

17. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

How tall is Sampson? 5'2"? Dude is tiny, but damn, he is quick and fast.

18. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

See I was thinking we were targeting them less. Would like to see more but Castles especially needs to do better

19. DeonG

DeonG Active Member

He won a lot of games with some unspectacular ND teams. I think he's a terrible person, but a good coach.

20. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Heupel is going to lift all boats at that position. I’m really looking forward to us having someone good at QB again