Chinese Stock Market in Trouble

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by NorrisAlan, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

That governments have been pumping up markets and we're due a massive correction. How messy it will be and when it hits is the question

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

china govt in particular. historically tomorrow would be the day the market really goes off the rails if it happens.

3. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

If there is going to be a major correction I'd prefer it happen now versus a few years down the road.

4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

QE has pumped our markets up as well with out being tied to fundamentals

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yes, but we are talking about degrees. our economy is actually in reasonable shape. china is in deep shit.

6. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Why?

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

we are long overdue for a correction.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Because a few years down the road he'll be even closer to retirement (just guessing)

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

that's what I thought too.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

My grand parents are always so fatalist whenever there's a downturn. Why they still have a bunch of money in stocks when they are in their mid 70's is beyond me.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

hard to make much money owning bonds that yield 2-3%.

12. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Yes. Admittedly, a selfish position. I am minimum 10 years away from retirement, so would rather it happen closer to this end of those 10-13 years. Otherwise I'll just push retirement.

13. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Due to QE there's no other place to put money

14. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

At that age, I am not looking to make money, but keep it from evaporating with a large downturn. Sure, have some money in stocks for SnG's, but it would be foolish to have most of your money in stocks after you retire.

IMHO, of course.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

really depends on your risk tolerance. sounds like IP is saying his grandparents have a low one. I have an 85 year old guy 100% in equities because that's what he wants. he also has a crapload of money he wont spend though. also many people have to take some risk to make sure they don't run out of money.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

That at least used to be conventional wisdom. I think with people living so long, they need the money to keep growing.

My grammy still works summers at a sugar house (maple syrup, you perverts).

17. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Fair points.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

old rule of thumb is your age in bonds. I don't have many clients that are over 50% bonds though. personally I'm mostly in cash and have been so for over a year, but that's just me market timing. usually i'm 100% equities with an emphasis in small caps. but that's because I have a 30 year time horizon to retirement.

19. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Use to you could put money in CDs and stay above inflation. That's not the case any more.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

What happens when you have clients over 100?!