Coaching and Youth Sports

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by cotton, Mar 25, 2013.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

And of course their kids are always the worst players and the kids that need the reps the most.

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Last time I coached and coach pitched, I had one mom tell me I was throwing too hard and not giving her son time to react. Other kids pinging it with a straight swing at a straight ball. I suggested she find another sport that allows longer analysis.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

The game is at 1:30 and their flight got in late last night. Suck it up. Your kid has already missed 2 games.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That kid is going to be a shitty adult

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I just tell them we are always looking for new coaches and volunteers. The amount of my free time I spend on this shit is staggering. If you are going to complain I hope your ass is showing up to everything and working with your kid at home. You also better not be chatting it up when i or my coaches are out raking the field.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Yup. This is a teaching moment more than anything. You don’t back out of obligations just because you are tired. Shit, id have my kid up for an 8 am game in that situation.

7. Ssmiff

If i was late growing up, I ran. And I told my mom she was causing it.
    Around here, you cant really just make kids run as punishment anymore. Have a mom be late and watch her son run for 30 minutes and it tends not to happen again.
    Current mom wonders why hes not playing more. I dont miss it.

droski likes this.
  8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

It's 8:05am there and you have a lineup for a 1:30 game?

Geez, I thought I was insane.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Ha. I made it on Friday. League rules say I have to play every kid equally at every position at this level, so it takes a little extra work. I have a spreadsheet too. Ha

10. CardinalVol

I'm going to tell my umpire buddy to transfer to your league.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

There seems to be an attitude that this is some sort of voluntary, show up when you feel like it, thing. Both the parents and the kids made this commitment. I’m not taking off from work early and spending this time for a glorified daycare. It’s supposed to be and is fun of course, but either you want to be part of the team or not.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Ha. We are pretty laid back compared to some of the other leagues in the area.

13. CardinalVol

It sounds miserable.

I guess you have to rotate batting order and positions?

14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Late equals pie after practice.

That generally stops the issue.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

It’s fine. I don’t want to be accused of playing daddy baseball anyway . Though that does mean we have innings we have basically no chance of getting an out unless it’s directly hit to the first or third baseman.

Yeah. Also you can’t play in outfield more than one inning in a row. I don’t really keep track of the batting order though. I just move kids around.

16. Ssmiff

First of our family seed to play lacrosse today and my little one scored 1 vs Ravenwood and 1 vs Father Ryan. Barely missed another and had a blast. Drew a tripping penalty too, but took his mouthpiece out on restart and that's a whistle and turnover in lacrosse.
    Not sure why one of you jackwagons didnt tell me about that rule.

17. CardinalVol

Ugh.

I "play to win" until I know I have the game in hand, and then put my outfielders in the infield.

18. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

This isn't 'Nam, there are rules

19. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

We have [uck fay]ed sports up in this country to the point that I don't even recognize it any more. Can't play in the outfield more than one inning in a row? This is why high school outfielders can't track a ball for shit. Everyone wants to be in the dirt but those aren't the guys that win ballgames.

20. CardinalVol

Had an uncle, not even a dad, an uncle walk up to one of the coaches last night and let him have it for teaching his nephew the wrong way to swing.

By the way, this coach played in the minors, and he's easily the most knowledgeable coach in the league.

justingroves likes this.