Cops Are So Cool and Tough: Sandra Bland Version

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by kidbourbon, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

It appears most agree that the use of his firearm was not called for in this case. Which he refrained from. But I have read different opinions from varying places that think he didn't do his job because he didn't do anything outside of being assaulted.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I can think of one tazer incident.

3. CardinalVol

I'm honestly not sure where the line is. There is one, but it's thin.

If I'm an officer and an irate guy is headed at me, I'm probably using pepper spray or the tazer. I think that's fair.

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Absolutely, because you have no idea what kind of intentions he has or what he might have hidden in his hands, or if he is a great fighter and is about to beat you to a pulp. That is on the other person, not the police officer.

5. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Pepper spray is just as problematic for the officer.

Then not all agencies carry a taser.

Now your left with verbal judo, a collapsible baton and your service weapon.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

If you use your service weapon on an unarmed person, you are not maintaining the peace. And you're encouraging an escalation of violence in future confrontations.

7. OrangeEmpire

Ok

8. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

SLED declines to release video amid new allegations in Seneca police shooting

State Law Enforcement Division agents Friday denied a formal request by The Post and Courier to release videos from a controversial police shooting in Seneca that spawned a federal civil rights probe.

The denial under the state’s open records act comes amid new allegations from a witness who said a Seneca officer placed something underneath the body of Zachary Hammond, 19, immediately after the shooting.

Quoting a letter from Hammond’s attorney to the FBI, FOX Carolina 21 in Greenville reported that a witness saw an officer pull Hammond’s body from the car and go to the trunk of his police cruiser to pull something out. The officer then reportedly returned to Hammond’s body, rolled it on the side, placed the object under his body, and then rolled it back....

...Hammond, a 2014 graduate of Seneca High School, was unarmed in his car at a Hardee’s when officers converged on his car as part a drug sting. In past statements, Seneca police said Hammond drove toward Lt. Mark Tiller, prompting Tiller to fire two shots, killing Hammond. Police also have said a white powdery substance was found at the scene.

Hammond’s family hired a medical examiner to do a private autopsy, which showed that the teen was shot in the back.

http://www.postandcourier.com/artic...mid-new-allegations-in-seneca-police-shooting

9. CardinalVol

Did not know that about tasers. That's crazy to me.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Seriously, if I know a cop is going to shoot me dead if he even thinks I may try to fight him then I am now going to see the cop as more of a threat than 95 % of the people I cross paths with. Why would I want you to be around me ever? In my store or restaurant? I don't want Barney Fifes anywhere near me or my loved ones.

Family dogs are shot, I suppose no one is truly safe.

11. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

This stands out to me:

Nooooo way on this planet am I standing over or on the ground near a wounded police officer when he has backup coming. Because those guys probably don't see me as a good Samaritan, and the risk that I might not hear or respond fast enough to their orders, as they approach me with guns drawn, is too great.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

They can't release the video because then folks will see that what happened in Cincinnati isn't unique.

One of my biggest fears with LE is that they can plant evidence and there is nothing you can do about it. That's why it is even in law abiding citizens' best interests to not cooperate with searches without a warrant. They can't be trusted.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yep. And then they'll sprinkle a little cocaine on you or put your pocket knife in your hand.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

15. OrangeEmpire

I know your serious, you've clearly articulated you're point.

16. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

How about pepper spray?

[video=youtube;wzDCY2mHpzU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzDCY2mHpzU[/video]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  17. IP

IP Super Moderator

I get the sense that you do not agree with it at all, so I tried to elaborate. I don't like feeling helpless.

18. OrangeEmpire

I don't prefer it

It's most effective as a riot control device

19. OrangeEmpire

It's the interwebz bubba, no need to feel that way.

:hi:

20. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

IMO; between training and tools available (pepper spray, baton, taser, etc.) there has got to be a method for controlling an unarmed man besides a bullet.