Dogs

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Ssmiff, Jul 20, 2022.

1. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Our corgis, particularly the younger one, were the same way

We bought them slow feeder bowls because fast eating can cause problems.

justingroves and The Dooz like this.
  2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I’ve been able to just leave bowls full with these two and they will snack thru the day. Eddie will eat a bowl of food if we sit down at the table with family while Lenny begs for scraps. Never had to worry about them overeating.

3. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Yeah we have one on the way!

emainvol likes this.
  4. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

The folks that fostered/cared for our current dog, (We got him while he was still under a year.) really trained him well as a very young pup. When we feed him he sits 5-10 feet away and will not come to the bowl until you call him.

He will get excited/antsy and let you know when his designated feeding time is approaching or past due. But when you walk in there, he sits in his spot and waits patiently. 1st dog ever to do this. Every dog we have had lived to 17+.

Now, don't get me wrong when the kids all bring their hounds over they all think whatever food the other dogs have is better and all try to sneak a eat in another bowl.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Wife took her to pick up son from cross country yesterday and one of his teammates (reminder he's in 8th grade) saw her and asked what her name was. When she told him Shuler he said, "You mean like Heath Shuler the quarterback? That's awesome!"

I may have teared up a little when she told me.

justingroves, Poppa T and NorrisAlan like this.
  6. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I assumed you'd named him after Benjie.

warhammer and NorrisAlan like this.
  7. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

I love this so much. Stark contrast to a recent story of mine lol. I help with a college prep/readiness program for high schoolers that don’t have a lot of resources. We did a tour at UT and when Peyton’s involvement was brought up in relation to something in the business school and the tour guide referred to him as a legend we had a kid ask if he was still alive.

justingroves and CardinalVol like this.
  8. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

“No, like Heath Schuler the congressman you dolt!”

HCKevinSteele, CardinalVol and IP like this.
  9. CardinalVol

Any advice on how to break a female from marking everything?

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Also, train them with the usual commands (sit, stay, roll over, whatever) to assert your dominance. Marking territory is not relevant if they know they are subservient.

Try to interrupt them before they do it and distract them with treats/positive attention. This also goes back to the dominance thing. Dominance does not mean negative stimulus, necessarily.

You may consider getting obedience classes for the dog. I think they now believe 8 weeks is old enough to start.

11. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

This dude loves the morning temps

Attached Files:

12. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

We got some kind of liquid that encouraged our female rat terrier to go outside. We applied it outside our apartment, and she went in that spot reliably for months. We gave her lots of positive reinforcement every time she did. I can't remember the name brand or the chemical in the mixture, but we probably picked it up at PetSmart. It was 25 years ago though.

13. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

The Baby Bird got two suppers today. My wife forgot to ask if I had fed him, and about 15 minutes after I had brought him back inside, he had second suppers. Happy as can be he was.

14. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Thank god we don’t have this problem. I’m mostly just over here trying to get my dog to shit outside in a timely and regular manner.

15. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Y'all are reminding me why I don't miss having a puppy.

16. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

spay her.

17. CardinalVol

we’ve got her final round of shots week after next and we’re going to schedule it. She’s not old enough yet.

justingroves likes this.
  18. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

We were advised by a couple of vets with our past females to wait until she completes a full heat cycle to do the spay. The reason was basically that if they’re too young, they could develop urinary tract issues from not being fully developed first.

Anyway, the explanation made a lot more sense when the vet was saying it than it probably does as I typed that out but that was the gist.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  19. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I’d say on the whole the good easily outweighs the bad. But yeah, it can definitely be frustrating.

We are starting obedience training in a couple of weeks and have a nice little streak of no shitting in the house going right now.

warhammer and NorrisAlan like this.
  20. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

No, you want to wait. Some are saying wait at least 18 months for males, too. It can cause issues if they are spayed/neutered too soon