Espn liberal agenda

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by droski, Aug 15, 2017.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Are you a public figure?

Let me rephrase, how many semi famous people get fired due to voicing their public opinion?

ESPN fired Hank Williams Jr because he said something stupid about Obama.

Curt Schilling, a certified dipshit, gets fired because of a comment over transgenders in bathrooms.

Linda Cohn suspended over saying espn overpaid for the nba and that people are turning off over politics in a radio interview

ESPN should be consistent. You call the president a white supremacist, you, at best, get suspended

2. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

It's certainly interesting. People hate political correctness, until somebody says something nonPC that they disagree with. Then it's "stick to your profession".

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

its either a racist statement or it isn't. Reverse the roles and we all know what the answer would be

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't give a shit about PC, it's just idiotic to fire and/or suspend employees for saying or tweeting less stupid shit than "the president is a white supremacist".

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

She's also the dumbass that wrote cheering for Boston is like saying Hitler was a victim.

6. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Your employer and the public at large are two completely different things.

And I should have seperated them in my previous post, but didn't. So my mistake there.

7. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Racism requires an attitude of superiority or inferiority. It goes beyond generalizations.

So yes, it either contains that, and is racism, or doesn't, and isn't. Offensive is not racism.

8. doolmeonce

doolmeonce Member

When one is a public figure, the lines between employer and public is blurred. The general public determines espn revenue.

9. fl0at_

Why is one idiotic and the other isn't?

If you have a dipshit who says something stupid, are you an idiot if you fire him, but don't fire a good employee who says something stupid? Nooooo.

But you cite this very thing with Curt Shilling.

Everyone weighs their employees differently. And the number of people fired for being idiots will always trump the number of people fired for saying idiotic things.

10. fl0at_

No. Contracts between networks and ESPN determine ESPN's revenue.

11. doolmeonce

doolmeonce Member

So saying stupid shit about obama weighs much heavier than saying stupid shit about trump?

12. doolmeonce

doolmeonce Member

What networks have contracts with espn?

13. fl0at_

Comcast, TimeWarner, Dish, etc. These are distribution and carrier networks.

I assume you are trying to imply individual television networks do not have contacts? CBS and ABC do.

And the SECN, and BigTen Network. Blah blah blah.

14. fl0at_

No. The person saying the thing weighs more heavily than the thing said.

15. fl0at_

Know who got fired at ESPN recently? A ton of people. There is an entire thread about it.

Quick, someone go find me the things they said to get them fired. And then let's compare that list to the one all of you are mentally compiling about "political" statements.

Dollars to donuts to dollars again says your list is shorter than mine.

16. doolmeonce

doolmeonce Member

Comcast, etc. are cable providers, not networks. ABC owns espn and cbs doesn't contract with espn to my knowledge. Sec and big10 are non profits, not networks.

At any rate, the original point was the general public dictates espn revenue.

17. doolmeonce

doolmeonce Member

Perhaps. I think the aforementioned double standard is what is frustrating. If you're bleeding money and losing viewership, maybe it's time to review the model?

18. fl0at_

There is no double standard because there is no standard. Managing employees is the very definition of exception.

That's why some people get to show up to work late, and others don't. And it's why some people get to say stupid things, and others don't.

What y'all are seeing is favoritism and bending to the vocal minority. If you want to see more of that, be more vocal.

19. fl0at_

You are applying your bias to the word network. The word network does not mean "television network."

ESPN owns the SEC Network, it is not a not for profit. Nor is the Big Ten Network, which is owned by Fox, or some subsidiary.

I would imagine there are contacts in place to allow one network to pick up a game of the other, should one choose not to air a game. But maybe they kick back to the conference.

But it doesn't matter, the general public doesn't dictate ESPN's revenue. The average person has no idea they pay so much for ESPN.

I wouldn't call blindness "dictating."

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think the networks bid for selection order and/or time slots.