Football Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Volst53, Feb 11, 2012.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Those are good points.

However, from watching games and talking with coaches, one thing that comes up over and over is that a disciplined defense can essentially shut it down. I've never seen a team use it whose goal is to control the clock. Over and over they are counting on over-aggressiveness and then let the quick back bust one up the middle off the trap or outside off the cross sweep/counter. If your linebackers and d-ends are well-coached and disciplined, this offense becomes a lot less effective in a big hurry.

That said, I understand why a lot of smaller school run it. I just hate it.

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

It does require discipline to defend. A better way to say it may be that it requires your players to play strict assignments. I try to utilize counter read techniques and assigning specific players that are responsible for the FB. The guards and FB are big keys in the D I run. Take them away, and you take away much of what the wing t is designed to do. There's other stuff like any other offense, but I'm gonna try to force the O out of their comfort zone. I'll take my chances with them trying to do things that are not as comfortable. The teams that I faced tended to panic when the leads, buck sweeps, traps, and jets were going no where. I knew I had them when they started pressing.

I'm not gonna lie, it gave me fits for years as a player and coach. I'm comfortable now should I have to face it. Having ran it and seeing it everyday in practice, I understand it so much better and know what to take away from them.

3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I'm a straight T man myself, but I do have a wing T package. I also have a pro set, box, and single back set.

If you're playing a team with good linebackers and d-ends, any offense is going to be less effective.

4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

But this isn't a wing t issue. Any offense is going to struggle if they can't run between the tackles or off tackle.

You know as well as I do that most coaches don't give the defense enough time during the week to prepare. Trying to face an offense that you don't see often and that has different reads is a challenge.

5. CardinalVol

Box? I'm unfamiliar with that term.

It just seems that the effectiveness of the wing-T is more drastically reduced with the LB/DE issue than other offenses.

If I coached you would see the I and single back sets.

6. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The I is the easiest of all formations for good linebackers and de's to stop. If you want to win in the I, you better just have more talent.

7. JayVols

You have a point, I agree totally. The wing t is just so foreign to so many and has such unique concepts it presents special problems. Running is essential to winning in any offense though.

I was fortunate. The HC I worked for was a defensive genius. I played for him. He taught me as a player and a coach. He took as much time in practice for D as we needed. We studied film endlessly searching for tendencies. I taught an individualized GED class at the time where each student worked on only what they needed. That freed up more time to study. I couldn't do that now. Our team has always been D oriented. I was shocked when he hired me as DC that he said it was mine and he never stepped in to take over. That was cool that he respected how I had grown as a coach.

One factor that is unique to preparing for the wing t is that unless you run it, there's no possible way to get a legit look at defending it in practice. That's tough as hell going into a game like that. You feel like you're going in the game with your pecker hanging out or something.

8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I have a coaching book from the 50's with the modern spread offense in it. Nothing in football is new, but so many coaches just want to run what they see on Saturdays and Sundays.

I don't care what system a coach runs. Run a system that works with your personal, block, and tackle. If you do all of that, you'll have a successful program.

9. JayVols

Your words are 100% correct. It is much easier to fit your personnel in the correct system for their talent than fit your talent into a set system. We aren't reinventing the wheel. Football is as cyclical as history.

10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

This damn iPad and auto correct is killing me.

11. CardinalVol

If you run the I, you've got to be able to throw it. I understand that.

Most coaches I've talked to run the wing-T because they don't have a true tailback to use out of the I.

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Single wing. Does anyone here know much about it?

13. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

A little, think of the QB as blocking back and running the option and passing about 80-90% of the time.

The line is usually unbalanced with the ball being centered to the Tailback. There is a wingback and a Fullback. The WB would line up to the strong side just outside and behind the end, the QB would be behind one of the tackles on the same side, the TB slightly to the weak side of the center with the FB in between the TB and QB. The WB and QB would block with the TB having the option of handing off to the FB or keeping it.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Then you get into the T, Spin series, buck, and spread.

I've been sorta getting sucked into it the last little bit.