Gorilla Shot To Save Young Boy

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by kidbourbon, May 30, 2016.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Who's arguing it has to be "completely impossible" to access it? Is there some middle ground between "impossible" and "a 4-year old can easily access it"?

And, if not, when given the choice between allowing people to see animals in a safe atmosphere for all who wish to do so, or not allowing any access at all, the latter makes the most sense.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

not if some parent leaves their car unlocked and their kid unattended which his what happened here. somehow the millions of visitors over the prior 45 years have stopped their kids from getting to the gorillas just fine.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the millions of 4 year olds that have surely attended said zoo without this happening would argue it's not easy for a 4 year old to access it.

that's like arguing that flying isn't safe because one plane out of a 1 million crashes.

4. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

To access the enclosure, the boy:

1. Went under a fence
    2. Walked through a few feet of vegtation / brush
    3. Jumped 12' off a wall into water.

Gosh, who would have dreamed that a 4-year old could manage all of that.

Almost every parent of almost every 4-year old could easily see that happening.

But not the zoo, who obviously deemed it as being utterly impossible.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

my kids turn 4 in august and there is absolutely zero chance in hell it would happen with either my wife or I present.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Your premise is flawed. The barriers are to keep the animals contained. They did.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Go to the Knoxville zoo's reptile area. You'll notice nothing is actually stopping a 4 year old from going inside the employee area and accessing the back of the snake enclosures where they open for feeding and handling. Nothing. Nothing is stopping a 4 year old from picking up car keys and turning a car on. Nothing is stopping a 4 year old from doing most anything.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

The faster acting stuff that doesn't need to hit a vein burn like a mother****er, judging from the reaction of dogs and cats. Those few seconds of burning without sleeping are a good time to get bit by them. I'm assuming gorillas turn you into some sort of human jam in that time.

The tranquilizers are fast, but they aren't instantaneous and they aren't painless.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Or, you know, the guardian who was in charge of the child.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Is this because the gorillas are immigrants? Is that what this is about?

11. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I said above that it passed inspections. That doesn't change the fact that another child got through the barrier or a barrier at the same enclosure in the last few years.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

The barrier is for the animals.

13. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Tenny must be the reason we're told not to use a hairdryer in the shower.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

14. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

15. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I think it is designed with both in mind.

16. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Common sense should say that much.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

The barriers are designed to keep animals from escaping. They are not designed to prevent people leaping in. Why would they be?

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Common sense should see a 15 foot drop and realize it is designed to keep something in while assuming people would be smart enough not to fall off a 15 foot drop. Common sense should say "obviously whether it be black bars or open enclosures, they are not designed to be super max prisons in reverse." That's common sense.

19. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I would think at least a little thought is given to it.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ya, a barrier and a drop.

Why is it that folks would think it unacceptable to let children run loose in a mall, but apparently the zoo should be a bouncy castle?