Gunsmithing question

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Refugee, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Refugee

Refugee New Member

I recently bought a 1959 Remington 870 in 16 gauge. It's 100% reliable so far, and the action is as smooth as glass. I got it for next to nothing and have absolutely no use for a 16 gauge. My plans for it are to get it re-blued, and get the stocks refinished, then put it in the safe and let my son have it when I'm dead. Anyone know what that should cost or a good smith to do it? I know of shops that specialize in pistols and rifles, but I'm lost when it comes to old shotguns.

2. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I think, right off the top of me head, is the reblueing is around $150. The stocks vary more depending on the gun. Could be wrong on the guesstimate.

3. Refugee

Refugee New Member

QP, that sounds like what I'm looking for, but Winchester is a bit far unless I could mail it. I always overlooked the 16s for 20s, but me and a buddy took it to the skeet range, and it is a nice shooter. Bought it on a whim from a guy my wife works with who has a hell of a collection (think 2 WWI Mauser anti-tank rifles under glass kind of collection), and now I want to do something to justify the purchase. If I could get it to "like new" and lock it up, I'd be happy.