Guy pays to hunt Black Rhinos, gets death threats

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by emainvol, Jan 17, 2014.

1. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I will admit, before I read the article, I was among the "wtf?" people.

Then you read the article and the explanation of it. If the rhinos were tagged for culling (they are the older bulls who can no longer mate and apparently are a threat to the younger calves), why not sell the kill to someone for an obscene amount of money to help pay for the preservation of the rest of the herd.

I understand people's knee-jerk reaction to this, but death threats and hounding of his children is never OK, nor is it OK to fly off without knowing all there is to know.

3. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

we had a student worker for a couple of years who was an animal rights crazy. moral vegetarian*. once stated the research we do animals on should be done on prison inmates. it's a mind-blowing philosophy to me.

there were days I would go get lunch that specifically had multiple kinds of meat just because it made me feel better.

*learned while in our employ that the gravy she enjoyed so much was made from meat stock. priceless reaction. also ate fish. I dunno why she didn't think fish weren't people too.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  4. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

They're not cuddly.

5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Probably a part of it. I think with this particular person her whole persona was as much about getting attention as it was about having actually come to her beliefs based on observation or experience or whatever

6. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

My sister was a "LOOK AT ME, I'M A VEGETARIAN" Type in College, grew out of it.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think marketing the hunt of rare animals only encourages poaching. If you set the value of an activity to be high and somewhat prestigious, you are going to create a black market for it. You know, like the black markets that have led to the extinction of the western black rhino last year?

This whole thing is a terrible idea. You cull the animal quietly and preserve what you can for education and research purposes. You don't sell the hunt when you've been arresting people for hunting these animals for 40 years. It sends a message of "it is okay if you are rich." Which I suppose is the truth of the matter.

I am not excusing death threats, just saying the whole scheme is idiotic.

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

But is Namibia flowing with resources to preserve the herd? What if this was the only way to make some much needed cash?

I agree with you, in principal, and would prefer the old bulls simply be killed by a ranger and left for the vultures. I am just not informed on how badly these reserves need money to keep going. Just another thought/angle.

9. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

the far left have been hunting black rhinos for years. why is this news now?

10. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

first off, i agree whole heartedly with your post.
    2nd, do you or have you ever hunted? if so, what odd/rare animal would you hunt, if you had your choice?

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

I have hunted deer (unsuccessfully), grouse, raccoon, and bear. I don't seek out odd or rare animals, in the same way I have never shot a bear. Hunting is for food, with enjoyment and recreation being byproducts. Trophy hunting isn't for me. I do admire trophy animals (living and dead), but have no desire to kill for trophies. I object when doing so puts the enjoyment of future generations at risk. In my opinion, selling hunts of even animals that need to be culled is risking future generations.

EDIT: Actually, I have hunted quite few kinds of birds now that I think on it. Haven't hunted in years though.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't like "catch and release" fishing, either. About a third of fish die after being hooked and dehooked. Forget size restrictions too. Set a limit on fish, keep what you catch. No putting them back. If you want bigger fish, use bigger hooks and bait.

13. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Agree on all points except size limits.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

I could be wrong on that point. I'd like to see it tested out on a lake or stream though, see how it goes.

15. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

makes sense to me. i grew up around a lot of recreational hunters (especially deer) and just never developed an interest. have always been put off by the guys that take the "hunting trips" and come back with some monstrous buck from some area that a guide has probably been tracking and maintaining for several years. just never saw the sport in that.

that being said, i have done a little bird hunting and could get into that if i had the disposable income. my dad got invited to canada a couple of years ago and got to go on a goose hunt and seemed to really enjoy it.

as far as big game went i imagine a bear hunt would be quite the rush. but like you you eluded too, i would feel pretty dickish to go into it without the desire to use the carcass accordingly.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

My family uses dogs on bears and raccoons. The bear goes up the tree, the dogs get their kicks baying, we take a few pictures, and then we hike back to the road and find another one.

17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Wasn't those fish that had been held and weighed for fishing tournaments, which would put way more stress on the fish than just catching and throwing back into the water.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I know that studies show approximately 1/3 of the tournament fish die but I've never read anything on recreational fishing catch and release mortality rates.

19. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I know on our little farm pond you don't see that kind of mortality from just catching and throwing them back, or we'd have fish floating all over the top.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't shoot small bucks because I'm fortunate enough to have places where I can be picky. I do pick out a buck or two that I will hunt because it's a challenge.

I try not to shoot trash ducks that aren't worth eating.