How bad are we underachieving?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by A-Smith, Nov 4, 2015.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'm not arguing Tennessee is as talented as Georgia, I'm saying the gap between Tennessee and Georgia isn't huge. You're getting your argument with BPV confused with mine

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

We have all kinds of talent at WR. Doesn't matter if we can't get them the ball.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

And that is a scheme issue.

4. NorrisAlan

Since 1990:

Every coach that won an SEC championship won it in their 1st, 2nd or 3rd year with two exceptions:

Spurrier Year 1 (inelligble) Year 3 (outright)
    Stallings Year 3
    Fulmer Year 5 (first exception, and Spurrier was just running rampant)
    DuBose Year 3
    Saban Year 2 (first team)
    Richt Year 2
    Tuberville (year 6, went to championship game year 2, lost to SPurrier)
    Meyer Year 2
    Miles Year 3
    Saban Year 3 (Team #2)
    Chizik (Year 2)
    Malzahn (Year 2)

Tick tick tick tick...

Hear that Lyle? That is the clock running.

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

My overall point is that the talent levels of all three teams are close enough that the East was a toss up this season.

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

It's a mix of scheme and throwing talent at the QB position. Equal parts both. Dobbs struggles immensely with throwing, even against far inferior talent. The Kentucky game made that even more clear.

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Beat a team that lost to Memphis?

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Georgia was lucky to beat the worst team in the SEC. They are not involved in any sort of toss up.

And I'll say it again. UF is in year mother****ing one. If their talent is even, we still should have whipped their asses.

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Why the hell does it matter what year they're in if the talent is equal? The year discussion is only even brought up in relation to talent. A small part of it is due to learning a new scheme, but it's mostly a talent issue.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Are you serious? Because the scheme is brand new to them and our guys have lived, eaten, and breathed ours for three years.

11. NorrisAlan

And we are better talented at nearly every position on offense. And Grier was a redshirt Freshmen. Practically still in diapers.

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

The "amount of years it takes" argument is 85% talent and 15% learning the scheme.

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

We have no answer offensively against teams that can shut down our run game.

14. NorrisAlan

He has shown the ability to throw over the middle just fine, but we refuse to go there. Also, pre-2nd Quarter UGA we refused to run Dobbs effectively and they were crashing on Hurd/Kamara.

Dobbs is fine if they cater to his strengths and not ask him to do shit he is not very good at doing.

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Do you suck at math or did you intend to confirm what I just said?

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Which teams have done that?

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

He's only fine against teams that don't have the talent in the box to force us to throw. The "he's accurate over the middle" crap is a tired excuse. He isn't consistently accurate anywhere. He struggles to hit simple slants and hitches. Everyone [itch bay]ed for the longest time about how we never throw deep. We threw deep against UK, and he missed 4 open guys before finally hitting someone.

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

You're saying we should have won because they were in year one. I said the talent is equal, so that argument is irrelevant because it's 85% based on talent. As in, "learning the scheme" isn't really much of a hindrance for year one teams. Where's the disconnect?

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Ok. Stay with me here.

85 = 85

85 + 15 does not equal 85 + 14

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I admit that I'm partially distracted, but I honestly have no idea what the **** you are talking about. Did you misread something I said?