How bad are we underachieving?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by A-Smith, Nov 4, 2015.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I mean are you getting this? You provided two variables. You set one equal and gave us the advantage on the other. That means we are better and should win. Then to back out you bring up "chance". I mean come the hell on.

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I provided two factors as the components of the "year one" argument. Not the outcome of a game. If you think the outcome of a football game is based on nothing aside from talent and scheme, then I question whether you've ever played the game.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Bro, I was all-time QB in 4 consecutive Backyard Bowls. Back off.

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I question whether or not you've thought any of this through. So let's start from scratch with our hypothetical to really get down to what you are saying. Here's the scenario:

1. Talent is equal
    2. It's the fourth quarter.
    3. UT leads by 13.
    4. Opposing team and coach have had only 3 games together thus far

We might win, but can't go so far as to say we "should" win.

5. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

There are plenty of morons that play football. Again, our problem is coaching, and that's it.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I think the outcome of a football game can be predicted very reasonably only taking into account a very small number of factors. Most of the time all you need for a prediction is talent and coaching.

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

1. Georgia leads 24-3 late in the second quarter.
    2. Talent is equal.

Can we say Georgia should win?

This is fun. And pointless.

Tell me, what category did Georgia's fumbled kickoff fall under? Talent or scheme?

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Added a portion just to show how damning that loss was.

9. NorrisAlan

late in the 2nd quarter is no where near the same as 4:15 left to play in the game.

And do you think we should have won the Florida game?

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

You serious? Of course they should have won. Maybe next time don't bring up a coach who, despite being the longest tenured guy in the conference, has an ass that's on fire because of coaching malfeasance this season.

You also aren't going to see me agreeing that UT and UGA have equal talent.

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

If talent is equal, why does it matter how much time is left in the game? Hell, if anything we are at a disadvantage in my scenario if the only other factor considered is coaching.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

You don't think that a superior coach with equal talent would be more likely to win a game in which he was trailing if he had more time to work than if he had less?

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Certainly. But Butch trailed by 21 in a game with equal talent against a superior coach.

14. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

stop this silliness. We have no prayer when we select to take away the option run and just hand off to a predictable run. That isn't a talent problem. When we won't use the middle of the field with the TE, we exacerbate the problem. Add to all that our struggle to hit guys down the field if they're wide, we have an offensive scheme that invites even decent LBs and safeties to dominate the game.

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Wow. That would have been a great point if it were accurate.

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Which part of what I said was inaccurate?

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Teams have taken the run away. We eliminate it by scheme sometimes, but not every time. I agree the TE is underutilized, but Dobbs is no more accurate across the middle than he is anywhere else.

18. NorrisAlan

And at this point in his career at UGA, I don't think Richt is that great of a coach. And he almost pulled it out, on the road. Kid had the ball in his hands going in for the score and he dropped it, and that would have tied the game.

And my argument is that if we have a decent coach that uses a decent scheme, we steamroll everyone on our schedule save Bama and are sitting at 7-1. The talent is there, now the other "15%" just isn't.

At this point, I really don't know what you are arguing. Is it that we need more players and with this team and this talent we should be 4-4?

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

We aren't even with UGA. Without Chubb they essentially have zero offensive talent.

The essentially is because the rest of their talent is reliant on a QB, which they absolutely do not have.

20. NorrisAlan

SEC Rushing Last column is yards per game:

1. LSU 2164 325 6.66 87 24 309.14
    2. Tennessee 1713 372 4.61 63 19 214.13
    3. Georgia 1578 284 5.56 83 15 197.25
    4. Arkansas 1568 310 5.06 70 18 196.00
    5. Ole Miss 1556 326 4.77 78 18 172.89
    6. Alabama 1508 333 4.53 56 17 188.50
    7. South Carolina 1430 297 4.82 66 9 178.75
    8. Auburn 1389 354 3.92 65 18 173.63
    9. Texas A&M 1351 305 4.43 42 11 168.88