IT: Chapter 2 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I’ve seen several terrible movies of late, particularly in the horror genre, and this is easily the worst.

The first reboot was a fresh re-make, balancing a mix of eeriness and jump scares, and weaving a genuinely good (albeit frequently muddled) story through a cast of likable characters.

It: Chapter 2 is just a jumbled mess of ham-handed jump scares and phobia-teasing fright tropes, predictably interspersed through a storyline that is equal parts terrible and nonsensical.

Troped Fears:
    Clowns, claustrophobia, needles, buried alive, drowning, disease, spiders, narrow-minded hilljacks....check, check, check, check, etc.

In this installment, we learn that Pennywise is an alien - yes, an alien - and that he was originally and unsuccessfully fought by Native Americans. And as an alien, he is accompanied by three death orbs of light, and which serve some purpose that the movie never really bothers to explain. You know that they are important, but not why. They’re the perfect example of how the story has become completely lost, almost from the opening scene.

Also, in this installment, Pennywise needs to use others to help do his bidding, such as when he sends a demon-like character to give a knife to a psychopath in a mental hospital....and then yet another to chauffeur the same man away, as he escapes the asylum. You see, this murderous alien who can assume any shape and read the thoughts of others needs the help of some Walking Dead-like zombies and a schizophrenic human.

Stephen King makes an appearance in the film, but worse, so do his politics, as the film takes a few circuitous and largely ineffective twists into issues that any social justice warrior will find pleasing, if not curiously placed and poorly executed - the police are crooked and bad, gay guys are beaten in the streets, two characters are secretly gay, etc. Even more disappointing is that there wasn’t a single reference to Trump, the ultimate baddie, but I guess Stephen counts movie tickets sold in Birmingham and Boston, all the same.

Not even the addition of Bill Hader, who adds a few moments of genuine and good levity, can save this swill.

I’m notoriously prone to allowing scary movies to freak me out and linger in my mind, but this movie just isn’t, at all. I could re-watch this movie on Halloween night, alone, locked in an abandoned and isolated cabin in the woods, and while only fearing that I’d fall asleep or die of boredom. It’s a cartoonish and poorly-planned cash-grab, intended to milk the final drop of blood from the first re-boot.

This was my first movie experience at Regal’s new 4DX theatre, where the seats move, wind blows, water splashes, etc. I honestly liked the 4DX experience, but not even those machinations could save this shit show.

Story: 1/10
    It’s equal parts wandering and terrible.

Characters: 3/10
    Hader is the only memorable character

Cinematography: 8/10
    It’s well-done, and likely overly so.

Length: 1/10
    Running time is 2:50, and it’d be too long at even half that.

Scary Score: 2/10
    It’s got good jump scares, but the rest is not only not scary, but just laughably dumb.

Overall Score: 3/10
    And this is being generous, while squinting and still trying to give Hader some love. Without him, this movie is easily a 1/10.

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  2. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

My 13 year old daughter, who loves horror movies, and absolutely love loved the first It, hated this movie.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Wasn't Pennywise always an alien?

Note: I am not a big King fan and loathe horror movies of all types, but am just going by something i read years ago.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

I can't think of a single remake of a horror movie that was more horrific than the original.

5. Tenacious D

The first IT came close, proving that it’s at least possible, but this second one is a significant step in the opposite direction.

I was genuinely horrified by the all-female reboot of Ghostbusters, but it was due to the terrible cast, so I don’t count that one.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

I never saw the all-female Ghostbusters, but that franchise is definitely not horror.

I watched "Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2" last night, starring Dennis Hopper. Wow, was that bad and not horrifying.

7. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

all female ghostbusters made me giggle more than the original, which I consider one of the most overrated movies of all time. I don't think I've ever laughed at anything Dan Akroyd said or did.

8. NorrisAlan

The Blues Brothers is one of the best movies ever made.

justingroves, Volst53 and IP like this.
  9. Tenacious D

Yes, the all female re-make was overrated.

That’s what I assume you meant.

Because the original Ghostbusters came out in the 80’s, and in my youth, and hence, is magical and cannot be bad. So I know you aren’t talking about the original, and particularly in such a sharp tone.

justingroves likes this.
  10. Ssmiff

Oh no, he slimed me. Oh no, you didnt think about the staypuff marshmallow man did you?
    Awful cinema. Gotta let it go.

11. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

This is the worst take in the history of takes.

CardinalVol, IP and justingroves like this.
  12. Ssmiff

Sheep

13. Ssmiff

14. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

It’s not even worth continuing this conversation

IP, Tenacious D and justingroves like this.
  15. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm stunned.

16. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Super Bass o matic 76 is one of the 25 funniest sketches in SNL history.

17. NorrisAlan

For Limp:

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

definitely better than the first. not sure about more horrific

[​IMG]

Volst53 likes this.
  19. IP

IP Super Moderator

agreed on better. first was more horrific. second/reshoot worst of the three, while army of darkness was the best.

Volst53 and droski like this.
  20. Ssmiff

Norris in Akroyd fashion for me, I watched for 2 minutes and lost interest before that. Just not my gig

NorrisAlan likes this.