Line woes: Coaching or Players/Depth?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by lylsmorr, Nov 3, 2018.

1. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Both.

2. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I genuinely don't know what the coaches could do barring just telling the linemen to fall in the path of the DL. What do you think?

3. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

My gut tells me that we have too many rules for the OLine. It needs to be simplified as much as possible.

4. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Hopefully it's something that simple. Seems like that could be fixed fairly easily.

5. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

I don’t see anything that anyone could deem as too complex. They may have too many guys preparing for multiple positions but outside of that there aren’t a ton of excuses to be had.

A-Smith likes this.
  6. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

They're young, physically undeveloped and just not very good at this point. Nothing a full year of player dev and a great recruiting class won't cure.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The only reason they have to know every position is there's only 8 of them worth a damn

8. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

we need to hold a little. Refs don't seem to want to call it against us. Hold more until they do

9. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

They aren't cohesive at all. At times it seems like they aren't on the same page.

10. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

I can only hope that Saban is taking Lyle’s analyses/recruiting advice to heart and implementing them fully...

It could actually be a stroke of genius on Saban’s part to bring Lyle on board... if Bama’s football fortunes plummet in two or three seasons it would be very credible to lay all the blame at Jones feet... Imagine the wrath of Tuscaloosa turned loose on Lyle... burning mattresses would be child’s play in comparison.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I don't know. They've been in a legit S&C for close to a year and still couldn't manhandle ETSU.

12. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

58 looks like a bama lb, and hes our starting OG.

13. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

hell at this point I'd go to veer blocking system in my zone.

Center calls out the 0 man and everyone counts out from there to find their man.

14. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I don't think they've been doing Fitzgerald's system this whole time have they? I imagine quite a bit of that time before summer was self patrolled.

Do strength coaches not have the same limitations as field coaches?

15. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I could be wrong but I believe they can be around the guys year round. They have less limitations than the coaching staff.

warhammer and NorrisAlan like this.
  16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

That’s pretty stupid if they do.

17. Memtownvol

Memtownvol Member

You would be correct. This is one of the many reasons why this position is so very important.

18. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

I think they’re around them more than anybody.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

No, they don't. It's why S&C is such a huge part of a good program

20. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

I'm worried that they may have trouble counting. I say this only because we have some that have trouble lining up on the line of scrimmage.

**TDCVOL** likes this.