Locker Room Post Vandy Win...

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by XXROCKYTOPXX, Nov 21, 2011.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

I agree with the last two posts.

2. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I've always thought achievement was pretty significant.

3. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

I've played sports at a reasonably high level. Been on really, really good teams and really, really bad teams. If I were in a UT uniform Saturday night, I'd have been showered and out the door by the time the idiotic singing and dancing started. I'll leave celebrating sheer mediocrity to those who seem comfortable with it.

4. hatvol96

Nope. That's how dinosaurs like you and I think. It's all about Kumbaya and camraderie now.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Meh. These seniors have put in 4 or 5 years and pretty much seen none of this achievement you speak of. Might not be able to even pronounce that word. I'm fine with letting them have some fun or whatever their last time in Neyland. They've all worked pretty hard and it's certainly not entirely their faults all of their teams have sucked.

6. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

What? You mean everyone SHOULDN'T get a trophy? Heartless bastard.....

Seriously, under normal circumstances, I would say 'It's freaking Vandy'. However, I can understand to a degree why they celebrated the way they did. Many on this team actually haven't been there before. Now, if they act like the 1980 US Olympic Hockey team after beating the USSR's pro team if we beat Kentucky, then, that will bother me.

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

And I really do think the senior night thing probably factors in big here. UT probably gets pretty riled up even in good years for the last game of these guys' careers. I'd say the MTSU postgame was probably a lot more tame.

8. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Good point Kpt.

9. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Did I state otherwise? Not sure how my argument is separated from achievement. I doubt the scene was as festive after our six losses. This team has achieved little, but I won't criticize the doer of deeds as 'the great enthusiasms, the great devotions' finally come to fruition. The success was slight in the grand narrative of Tennessee athletics, but it was a moment worthy of celebration, nonetheless.

10. hatvol96

If beating Vanderbilt is seen as "fruition," this program is even more [uck fay]ed than I thought.

11. vollygirl

vollygirl Guest

What makes you like that hat?

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Non-issue to me. Senior night leads to a lot of emotion, and with the fashion the game ended those emotions came to a head after the game. I'd say Tennessee is also playing with a playoff mentality.

I do get some of the posters point of view though about it being Vandy.

13. gorockytop101

gorockytop101 New Member

Damn, let the kids have some fun.

14. hatvol96

If the mentality around the program is such that a victory over Vanderbilt is seen as an accomplishment instead of a birthright, they're not getting back into contention anytime soon.

15. vollygirl

vollygirl Guest

So you don't factor in anything other than what Tennessee is "supposed" to be?

16. hatvol96

Why would I lower the long established standards for the program just because Hamilton made the mistake of hiring a WAC loser as the head coach? You don't get graded on a curve at the elite levels of college football.

17. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I would agree if this had anything to do with beating Vandy. This was a needed exorcism and the kids needed to feel good about something after being shit on all year. It's one thing if we're talking about a team with mostly upperclassmen who shouldn't be at the level of celebrating a victory over Vandy.

It's all location, location, location as it is said and not all situations are the same. Next year this is unacceptable, but this year it's understandable and I can deal with it. You've got to crawl before you walk and, right now, we are babies.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Hat is sort of a crucible for me. I can get lulled into accepting big wins over Vanderbilt, or being glad for a bowl game. Hat's expectations do not change.

He isn't wrong. Dooley has not lived up to Tennessee's standards. He isn't wrong that Dooley WAS a loser in the WAC. The rest of us are hoping like hell a quacking, web-footed, waddling coach is really somehow a hawk and not a duck.

There's only a small chance that Dooley is going to explode next year and everything work out. It is much more likely we cut him loose after 2013 or so, and bring another coach. Dooley is likely just a steward trying to create a platform for a return to success for someone else.

19. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I guess none of this stuff happens in a vacuum and these kids have had the crap kicked out of them over and over, and like several have said, this was just some emotion that needed to be let out. i'm not sure that just because they celebrated like they did the other night that all of a sudden the longview of the program is being ecstatic with squeaking by Vandy in overtime.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think we can all reach a consensus that no matter how one reads this situation, we need more wins going forward. More wins, Dooley. Get the [uck fay] on it. I want Kentucky and then a crappy bowl win.