Locker Room Post Vandy Win...

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by XXROCKYTOPXX, Nov 21, 2011.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Legitimate SEC players make you 8-4. Not a single one of those defensive guys you mentioned are of the caliber of their counterparts on Tennessee's best recent teams.

2. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

We'll see. Most of them are first year players. At the end of the day whether people like it or not, Dooley will get another year, and we'll see what his recruits can do.

3. hatvol96

No, we'll see whether the quarterback Lane Kiffin gifted him can save his job. A true test for Dooley would be if Bray decides he has had enough of Dooley and Chaney constantly harping on him to study the playbook more and tells them they can play their prized pupil Worley and he'll go somewhere that his talent is appreciated.

4. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

So, now Bray isn't appreciated by the staff? Jesus, you're really reaching now. As for touting Kiffin's amazing eval of Bray, it should be noted that Kiff whiffed on about 5 quarterbacks that appear to be garbage before lucking out and getting Bray. That's hardly something that deserves praise. He got lucky. Period.

5. vollygirl

vollygirl Guest

If you believe that's the truth, what are your supporting facts? Cause you expect people to support their opinion with fact, right?

6. hatvol96

Are you saying his record in the WAC wasn't a losing one, that you actually think a guy with his resume would be Tennessee's coach if his name was Derek Jones, and that Barbara Doley has shut the hell up? Two of those three are objectively false and it doesn't take a hell of a lot of common sense to invalidate the third. Unless, of course, you think Terry and Tommy Bowden's careers are all on their own merit.

7. hatvol96

Amazing how having the gravitas to get a guy to turn his back on a quality coach like Brady Hoke constitutes luck. That Kiffin flat has a horseshoe in his pocket. I'm sure it's all good fortune that will have him the preseason Top 5 next year if he hasn't developed his quarterback right into the NFL.

That's what it is. Dooley doesn't lack coaching skill. He simply doesn't have the football fates smiling on him.

8. vollygirl

vollygirl Guest

You don't need all the extra words Hat, and I asked a really simple question.

And for the record, I've yet to figure out why you or anybody else gives a damn what Barbara Dooley has to say. Give me one single fact that supports the theory she's had a negative impact on Tennessee football. Other than you don't like her, cause that has jack shit to do with this program.

9. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

As I see it, you have the question backwards. What has UT done under Dooley to show that they are progressing back to a championship level? Are we separating ourselves from the bottom of the conference? Are we closing the gap with the top of the conference? From my perspective, it looks like we are in a dogfight with Vandy and Kentucky, and that everybody that is actually good keeps beating us worse and worse.

I thought Dooley was unqualified when he was hired, and I keep waiting to see something to change my mind. That, in my opinion, is the question that should be asked: what has Dooley done, and what is he doing, that shows he is the guy for the job?

And the answer seems to be a long list of the difficulties facing him in getting the job done. I would rather see progress. Beating Vandy isn't progress. Setting records for blowout losses isn't progress. I don't see UT getting any better, yet when I express this, the opposing view seems to say, "Yes we are, and this is why we aren't." It's disconcerting, but maybe I'm just being 'that guy.'

10. hatvol96

If you don't think opposing recruiters have a good deal of fun at Dooley's expense using Barbara's babbling as fodder, I can tell you with certainty they do. It makes your program look amateurish when members of your coach's family are on the radio constantly making a fool of themselves. It's no different than Kurt Warner's nutcase wife.

11. hatvol96

Can there be more than one "that guy?" If not, we're going to have to set up some sort of tournament. We've shown we know how to do one of those in first class fashion.

12. vollygirl

vollygirl Guest

That's still just opinion. I'm just asking for something factual.

13. hatvol96

Yeah, it's not like I know anyone in the coaching profession. Pure speculation on my part.

14. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

San Diego State v. Tennessee. I'm sure it was an amazing sell job by Kiff and Company. Truly amazing they were able to turn him.

15. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I couldn't give a rat's ass what some other coach thinks about Barbara Dooley as long as we're recruiting well. What recruit has Barbara Dooley cost us?

16. hatvol96

It's obviously something Dooley took notice of. He's spent a good portion of his time working to beat the dregs of college football to get his "character guys."

17. hatvol96

How many of the SEC's elite are we beating on the recruiting trail? "Recruiting well" gets you a bunch of December trips to Nashville and Memphis, especially when you have a coaching staff running a tactical Chinese fire drill. The perception that Dooley and his program are a small time joke loses us plenty of guys every spring. Those are the guys you see every October kicking Dooley's teams brains out.

18. vollygirl

vollygirl Guest

Have a Happy Thanksgiving Hat.

19. hatvol96

Well said. In the absence of anything other than nebulous concepts like "respecting tradition" and "being a fit," there's zero substantive achievement by Dooley to indicate he has any business being the coach at Tennessee.

20. hatvol96

Same to you.