Movies I Just Don't Get

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Oct 20, 2015.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I've watched bits and pieces of all of them, never watched one from beginning to end.

I never "got it" either

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

The Quiet Man is one of my favorite movies. I could watch it a million times.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

For me it was the whole nature of existence, free will and whether it was good or not to "wake up". The SciFi and action parts were just a vehicle.

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Yeah. None of that seemed all that original to me. Lots of people acted like that was the first time they'd ever considered something like that. Maybe I'm must super philosophical (don't think so, at all), but I'd often considered odd scenarios where I'm in a controlled environment that's actually totally different than what I perceive.

5. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

John Wayne's True Grit is one of my favorite movies. Overall story is great, but it's also infinitely quotable. I'm guessing they get a lot of the lines straight from the book. Girl that plays Mattie Ross and the Robert Duvall lucky Ned Peppers character are also really good.

6. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

It's okay. The original story had to be adapted to make it a "John Wayne" movie. I thought the 2010 film was better.

7. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I didn't. I really, really didn't.

8. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

The differences between the 1969 and 2010 in terms of plot are minimal. The 2010 cast just didn't have the charisma that the original group did. They also took out a lot of the funniest lines. I enjoyed the 2010 version, but I'll probably never rewatch it. I watch the old one about once a year.

9. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

The plot changes were subtle, but the 1969 movie was worked to make Wayne into his typical one-dimensional character. The 2010 centers more around the girl. I enjoy 1969 movie's scene with the girl bargaining for the horses. Otherwise, I prefer almost every scene from the 2010 movie.

10. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

:hi:

11. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Ruh roh shaggy

12. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Again?

13. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I didn't think either were cinematic masterpieces.