Need some DIY help

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, Jan 7, 2012.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

This is probably very simple.

My toilet is sticking when we flush it, and I can't figure out if it is the handle or the valve. Here's the set-up. Anybody got any advice on what is wrong with it?

2012-01-07_16-00-46_231.jpg

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

What ya mean when you say it is "sticking" when you flush? You hit the handle and it gives a half flush before stopping... or?

3. CardinalVol

It flushes fine, but then something sticks and leaves the valve wide open. I can't figure out if the root of the problem is 1) the handle sticking, or 2) the valve sticking.

I'm used to the old plunger type toilets, and this is dumbfounding me.

4. CardinalVol

The problem is its sticking when the handle is pressed all the way down and the valve is stuck wide open.

5. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Would be my guess. Once you get the angle back, I always draw a line with a sharpie to show where the level is correct. That way it makes for a simpler fix if it moves again. Also it's helpful in that you can actually tell if it's moving before the bad flushing starts.

Nothing worse than dropping a massive load and nada. Makes for a bad Thanksgiving. And prom. And honeymoon.

6. OBX_Vol

OBX_Vol Member

The float that moves up the water feeder tube needs to be greased. Pull the float up and see if the seal drops.

Sorry in advance if I read that wrong.

7. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

You could also take the handle apart and check to see if something is keeping it from resetting. Hair or some other substance may have got caught in it.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Those plastic sticks attached to the handle can get either a bend or crack that screws it up too

9. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Upper decker FTW