North Charleston Police Shooting

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Apr 7, 2015.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  2. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

that deserves a 1st degree murder charge. he deserves to go to jail for the rest of his life. imo.

3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Broken tail light turns into a death sentence.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Now imagine if there was no video.

5. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

2 grown men against 1. They have pepper spray, tasers, and training. He has a hand tool.

Better shoot him a lot.

7. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

autopsy should be pretty damning in this scenario. even without video.

8. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

"Should be." Regardless, apparently Charleston PD received 275,000 dollars for personal cameras. Where are they?

10. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

i figured that you would zero in on that. lol

as far as money for cameras i'm sure they will claim "red tape" is holding them up.

11. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I've moved the posts of the Charleston shooting to its own thread, here.

12. Tenacious D

The obvious and necessary caveats being noted - innocent until proven, due process, etc. - this looks like cold-blooded first-degree murder. Not manslaughter. Not a "mistake".

Murder.

13. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

This murder took place in the City of North Charleston. Charleston and North Charleston are not one in the same except in the same county. They are completely different municipalities with their own mayor, police departments and government. The thread title should reflect that. The murder was committed by a North Charleston Police officer.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  14. Tenacious D

Yes, sir. Sorry for the oversight, and appreciate the clarification.

It's now fixed.

15. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

LCV is right. North Charleston is a completely different animal than charleston

16. Tenacious D

I've watched this a couple of times, and can't really see where the officer dropped the taser beside the man, likely because of how the camera is rotated from portrait to landscape and back again.

I see him run back to the spot where he shot, and retrieve something from the ground. I see him return to the place where the victim fell, but by the time he makes it back, there is another officer on scene. I don't see where the shooting officer drops anything, but later, as the second officer runs off camera to do something, I see him pick something up off the ground ans put it in his waistband / holster.

Can someone tell me at what point he placed anything on the ground beside the guy, because I cannot see it.

And before anyone's head explodes over this question - I'm only asking because I couldn't actually tell when it occurred, and not because I disbelieve that it did, as the officer clearly retrieves something, and later, picks something else up. And even if the victim had wrested the taser away, you still don't have justification to shoot him, as he's running away (read: it's still murder).

17. Low Country Vol

North Charleston is getting better over the last 10 years. Mayor Sumney is doing a hell of a job bringing in businesses and revitalizing Park Circle to an eclectic area with locally owned restaurants. I am sickened by this and down right nauseous. This hits home.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Thank you for the video and new thread, Tenny. I didn't realize how big this story was going to be.

19. Tenacious D

While I am in favor of giving the greatest possible benefit of the doubt to law enforcement, once proven otherwise, I think that the fact that they should be held to an even greater level of accountability.

Simply, the "higher standard" should apply in both directions - authority and responsibility - in equal measure.

20. Low Country Vol

This video will be used for every police training exercise for eternity. Luckily the indictment was swift with captital murder charges. They are handling it correctly thank God, so far. The local attorney for the officer dropped his representation the minute he saw the video.