Obamacare just committed suicide before the SCOTUS

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Mar 27, 2012.

1. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

exactly. It may be shocking to droski, but there are legitimate stories where people, through no fault of their own, can't get access to medical care.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

And yet we want to give govt more control over this?

We think things will change?

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I sympathize but even in the sad situation you describe can't accept that the uninsured bears absolutely zero responsibility.

4. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Dont take this as judging, but this is the main reason I have 6 months worth of pay saved. Its hard for people who live paycheck to paycheck, but you have to plan for these possibilities ahead of time. When I was mentioning the gap coverage, I wasnt talking about COBRA. I was referring to the fact that I think a company who lays people off should still be required to pay that part of the particular insurance for that individual to a certain time point. JMO

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Changing nothing certainly will bring change... wait.

6. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I agree with you and droski that regulating private insurance is not the way to fix the problem.

7. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Then we all agree....well except maype IP

8. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Totally agree with that.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Don't think handing th keys over to the masters of inefficiency is preferable to the status quo.

10. CardinalVol

So all change is good no matter what?

Yes, the system needs work, but not what was done.

11. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Sure, in hindsight, they might have done things differently, but she wasn't expecting to be diagnosed with cancer a month after her husband was laid off. I just don't think the penalty for that should be either death or losing literally everything. Just my opinion.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

you beat me to it. i feel for his relatives, but if they had savings they surely could have paid for cobra or paid for an insurance plan i was talking about. hell unemployment would pay for said insurance plan. it paid for mine. if you simply want to adjust medicaid so that people like his family are covered i'm all for it. but the current plan has too much moral hazard.

13. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I agree.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

this argument could cover a number of mistakes. my wife is pregnant. if i get killed by a car is it fair that my children will be in poverty if i don't have life insurance? of course it isn't fair. if i drive without car insurance and my brakes go out and i kill a pedestrain and go bankrupt because of it is that fair? no it isn't. but should my mistake be paid for by the people who are responsible and do buy life and car insurance? i know this comes off dickish since it's personal to you, but i am simply explaining my position.

15. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I can buy that, droski. There just needs a way for people like that to gt vital medical treatment. You listed a possible solution by extending Medicaid. I'm not saying that because of this, I'm for obamacare. But I am for some type of healthcare reform.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i think we can all agree we need some sort of healthcare reform.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  17. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't know enough to know how to fix the problem, only that there is definitely a problem.

18. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

19. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

20. CardinalVol