Ole Miss 2-27

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by CardinalVol, Feb 27, 2019.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Visit Cameron Indoor sometime. 50 high school gyms within 25 miles of UT that are nicer.

2. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I don’t doubt your assessment that it’s what they need, as it appeared consistent with everything else I associate with Ole Miss....a program that is built on hiding the fact that it’s really a smaller than expected fan base of a lower tier and less important program, but who just can’t quite pull it off. Ole Miss is what I imagine it’d look like if Southern Miss / Memphis / UAB lucked into the SEC.

The one giant flat-faced wall at the end of the court (with all of the player names on it, maybe?) was particularly goofy looking.

From television, it looked to be rocking and rolling when the shot was tight on the student section. The wider shots, which were few and far between, showed what you said - a lot of empty seats, even near the end of the game.

The announcers commented on the “awesome” fact that the student section was all along the sideline, and right behind the benches. Knowing that those are typically the big money seats, I interpreted their giving the students those seats as an admission that they couldn’t sell and/or otherwise consistently fill them, and which speaks to my earlier point.

Their throwing shit on the court at the end was the embodiment of everything I think about Ole Miss.

Not arguing or contradicting anything you say - you were actually there, and I wasn’t - but just contrasting your experience with how it appeared on television and my low opinion of that program / fan base / state.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

it looked like an unsanctioned match being played in Uzbekistan, imo, by the time the garbage was being thrown.

4. Tenacious D

I have a friend whose wife loves Duke (I assume she’s Wiccan) and he took her to a Duke / Carolina game last year (maybe two years ago), and they were each astounded at how small it was. They also spoke about how awesome it is for students, but miserable for them and anyone else, particularly with no AC. They make the most of it, for sure.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

loves Duke just as a bandwagon, i take it. witches were always bandwagoners.

6. CardinalVol

Subtle "me and my friend are rich" post.

I went to a game there the day we caught Hussein in 03. Caught a game at UNC at 1 and Duke at 8. Students were on break and we snuck down and sat in the student section with the ones there. After the court we walked out on the court like it was nothing. My friend spit on the Coach K Floor logo. Was awesome.

Tenacious D likes this.
  7. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Tried to upload a picture here from this winter, but it's too big.

I've been in about 15 high school gym that are much, much bigger.

8. Tenacious D

All of the pics you send me are icon sized, and really could be further cropped down.

9. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

It looks bigger than it feels.

hohenfelsvol likes this.
  10. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

There is no logical reason for the state of Mississippi to have/be able to support two SEC schools.

Tenacious D likes this.
  11. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Bowden is 0-11 from 3 in the past 4 games. 5-24 total from the field.

12. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

He went back to same hair as he had in early season struggles.

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Is it safe to say that the biggest reason for our struggles as of late is our poor shooting?

I think we can typically overcome our other issues (poor defense, bad calls, silly turnovers) if we just hit our open 3's.

14. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

No. Lackadaisical play and fatigue are the biggest contributors, in my opinion. That affects shooting and every other facet of the game.

15. CardinalVol

I think part of the fatigue factor is that these guys don't know how to take it easy. It's their mentality.

16. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

It looks like they've been taking it easy on the court. I don't mean that as a joke, their level of intensity has been considerably lower.

17. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

LSU and ole miss shot 39% combined. Most of ole miss 3s were contested. Effort is there imo
    -gotta make shots. Any team who has guards go ice cold will struggle.
    -every team is tired
    -Alexander was sick all week, but his lack of play inside and us having to rely on Fulk is a reason too. We struggled with him out in tourney last year
    -Bone is hurting.

18. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Looking around the country this week, lots of teams struggling a bit. It’s that time of the year

Ssmiff likes this.
  19. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

We are seeing different things on the court when you say "effort is there". Over the course of an entire game there are stretches of intensity but not as it should be for a full game.

20. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I definitely think there are moments where they’ve checked out