Police Analysis: Officer Dinkheller Shooting

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Apr 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

First, I don't know who runs this website, have no idea if they know the difference between Billie Jean and a billiestick, and don't profess to know if they are ultimately correct in their assessment, in whole or in part, or if even at all.

But this is is an interesting read, as it not only analyzes a specific officer-involved shooting, but gives what appears to be a fantastically detailed insight as to those decisions which police officers must routinely make, often in the blink of an eye, and with life-altering - or life-ending - consequences. Reading this, and a few other articles (on this site and elsewhere), I'm honestly more genuinely surprised that officers don't get it wrong more often than not (being human), and maybe that it's even reasonable to expect that they can, and in every single instance. This incident not only lead to the tragic death of Officer Dinkheller, but is particularly terrifying for how oddly and slowly it all unfolded, seemingly in slow motion.

Link: http://policemarksman.com/2014/06/2...eloping-threats-the-kyle-dinkheller-incident/

Notes:
    I am not using this article or its subject matter as a means to advocate for the blind support of any in/action by any officer, or to rationalize, diminish or excuse police errors and misconduct, wherever it occurs. The police should be held to an exceedingly high standard of both trust and accountability, in equal measure.

As anyone who has ever communicated with me personally will attest, I've not only seen some shit on the internet, but delight in both discovering and sharing those finds with others (often, and admittedly, whether they like it or not). The crazily grosser the better. Very, very little bothers me, but this was a difficult article to read. And while there is a video of this incident which is readily available, even the memory of my having watched it still disturbs me. For that reason, I will not link to or embed it here, would respectfully ask that no one else does so, and wouldn't suggest that anyone view it.

2. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

That's a sad story. Truly. This isn't a solution to the problem, rather just a passing thought I had while reading the rest of the article; why aren't police armed with more than a Glock? A concussion grenade would have put that lunatic out of business long enough to be apprehended would it not? Again, just something that crossed my mind.

As far as this scenario goes, it's obvious he allowed this man far too much rope, how he didn't put this guy down as soon as he saw the lunatic handling the rifle in the cab is beyond me.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Not to oversimplify and I don't intend this to be flippant, but: why don't officers have partners very often anymore? Or do they? One officer could be issuing commands at gunpoint, the other could have maneuvered in to try and tase him before it ever got to the point of the man going for a rifle.

It's a hard job, perhaps using partners would help.

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

One word:

Money

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Everything has multiple costs, money is only one metric of value.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't trust many people with concussion grenades

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

There's a deaf child in Michigan or wherever because police threw a concussion grenade into the wrong house.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

This sentence is hilarious.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Sorry if I am not expressing things clearly. I'm referring to the incident in which a concussion or flash grenade was thrown through a window and landed in the crib of an infant. And then it turned out that the police were raiding the wrong house.

This was what I was thinking of, I think: http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlin...ice-grenade-dropped-in-crib-during-drug-raid/

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I just kind of thought it was funny that you were criticizing someone misplacing something, then you narrowed it down to "Michigan or somewhere". Just seemed funny.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Like saying no one cares about the starving or whatever little boy in Mexico or somewhere?

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

No. The problem was they were careless with their placement of the bomb. Hence, juxtaposed with "Michigan or somewhere", it's funny. You were sort of guilty of the same location carelessness.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Oh, I see. Probably shouldn't put me in charge of any grenades or explosives, either.