Scathing article on 60 minutes crew arrested in Lebanon

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

People who work hard in life to earn what they have don't like the idea of someone suggesting that an aspect of their physical appearance played a bigger part in their success than the effort they put into being successful. They're defensive because "white privilege" makes light of the hard work they've done.

Why did everyone flip their shit when Donald Trump mentioned some woman only got her job on TV because she's hot?

2. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Being white, I've been told I don't know what its like to be poor.

3. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Bernie said it himself, and he knows all about being poor. He's practically black.

4. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

So, what are some of these privileges I have based solely on my skin color? I need to cash these in, because really I've been missing out.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Yeah no one is blaming anyone. We are just talking. All hypotheticals. No one has ever blamed white people for the failures of other races. All in our head

6. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

You seem to think it's a blanket "fault" for white people that's also directed at you, personally. That's not what's being said. And, you're still on this kick about "failure", as well. This isn't a simple, basic binary of success vs. failure and the cause of the failure is white people. That you created this dichotomy just makes it easier to avoid the nagging details and dismiss it outright.

7. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Yeah that video is a great example. Pretty much all of those questions have everything to do with how rich/poor your family is and almost nothing to do with race.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

It's silly to argue that it's not explaining away failure. To argue this is some made up paranoia is laughable

9. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

It was kidnapping. I don't need someone else to define that for me. You said the western woman should have known better. Don't try to wiggle out of that.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

So you cite an example of white privilege, and then say it is a lie when "most people" say it?

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Broseph, I haven't wiggled one damn bit. Don't manufacture shit. Marrying people from other cultures, you should be very clear on what their culture entails for you and your future children. You have something to argue on that point? Then do it. You think saying that is racist? Make your case, and good ****ing luck making one that doesn't get brought back up frequently by me in other discussions.

Answer this question, please: If an American woman living abroad visited home with the kids, and then decided to stay here with them, did she kidnap her kids from the father and home nation?

12. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

That's right. She should have known better.

As far as the hypothetical, provide a full background.

Is the husband aware of her plans to not return?

Why is she not returning?

Is this just to keep the kids from him?

What is the couple's financial situation?

Does the couple remain in communication during all of this?

Is the woman being deceptive?

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

No one ever said anything like that. Seems like you guys have to invent straw men to maintain your position.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

The husband is not aware of her not returning, but it wasn't necessarily planned.

She doesn't feel comfortable raising her kids in that culture.

It isn't just to keep the kids from him, it is to keep them out of an environment she dislikes in terms of raising children in.

They're solidly middle class by our standards.

To a degree, the parents disagree on this action but the location of the kids is not withheld.

She decided, while visiting the grandparents with the kids, she wanted to stay and never go back. Whether you read deception into that or not, I can't say (same as this case).

15. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Yet I continue to rage against the machine...

Walleye is the the prescription for utopia. Never underestimate the power of the marble-eye side.

16. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I'd call it kidnapping. If he's okay with the arrangement, then it becomes somewhat gray. If he doesn't approve then it's kidnapping.

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

If you want to say that white privilege is the phenomenon that white people might treat other white people differently than other races, then that's fine. Understand that that principle applies to all races, many in the US to a stronger degree than your average ******.

Anyway, if that were the full extent of white privilege in today's society, I'd have no problem with it. But let's not kid ourselves and act like it isn't frequently used to explain a ton of shortcomings for other people.

18. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Because this whole ****ing argument is a straw man. "IF" white people have gotten special consideration solely due to skin color, it's demonstrably true that blacks have also.

19. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Green privilege. You got $$$, you get privileges.

20. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Most people aren't telling stories like the one I cited.