Screw SunTrust

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by DownNDirty, Apr 14, 2015.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm not sure what you're getting at. You know that I am saying I do shop there right? I chose to start shopping there.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

they could hire Obama as their CEO and I'd still shop there. One is opening 2 miles away in 3 months. Can't wait. Current one I go to is in the ghetto and their selection isn't nearly as good as the one I went to in West LA.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Hey, don't look at me like I am some sort of "pro-life until they're born" dude. Either human life in all forms is sacred and we shouldn't be punishing infants and children for their parents' mistakes, or we should get serious about birth control and access to abortion.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

try taking less than 30 minutes shopping at Costco. it's a different model selling bulk items, so they can get away with having less cashiers than walmart and paying them more. they'd get killed doing that for regular grocery.

5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

And #2.

1) Big Booties
    2) Big Booties
    3) Walmart
    4) Big Lebowski
    5) Big Booties
    6) Big Orange (keeping with the Big motif)

6. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I ****ing love Costco. After my first visit I immediately canceled my Sams membership.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I've never waited in line. But then, I don't try to go to Costco as a snow storm is rolling in or near major holidays.

Also, I'm willing to wait 15 extra minutes if it means the people there actually make a decent living. I realize not everyone feels that way.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

my wife's friend is a wine importer and she went into a huge rant about Costco and how they are ruining small wine stores who will pick out the right wine for you and give you recommendations etc and how that's well worth large margins and how it's ridiculous the margins Costco sells their wine at. made we want to buy more wine at Costco. she also once chastized me because I got pissed when the local steakhouse had a wine I normally buy for $20 at $100 telling me that i was putting sommeliers out of business. screw her. why should wine be treated any differently than anything else?

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I've never been to a Costco that wasn't a major shitstorm. Never have I ever not had to wait in line. Not once. Perhaps they are more popular in California.

I don't begrudge dumb people for making a living. at least they are working. you still seem under this misconception that Costco and Walmart hire from the same pool of people.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

California, particularly LA, is ridiculously overcrowded with people trying to live a suburban/commuter lifestyle in a place too densely populated for that shit. I couldn't do it.

From what I've seen, people that go on to work in offices and in sales are not any smarter or harder of workers than people who end up working in stock rooms and in walmarts. The differences are where and what families they were born into. When someone grows up in a family where no one has ever worn a tie, they're not too likely to get into the corporate rat race. It is the few that overcome that stuff. I've met and taught too many borderline retarded college students with rich parents and gaggles of tutors who go on to land nice upper middle class jobs while watching the brighter students from more humble places end up struggling to find a job.

Sorry, I don't buy the "pools of people" crap. We don't live in a meritocracy.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

It's densely populated for a reason. . .

if you can't clearly see the difference in quality of the employee at Costco and at Walmart then it's absurd to even discuss this too you. and if you think there's a ton of people working at walmart who would be working in upper middle class jobs given other circumstances than you are just a crazy person. and the statistics about where the average rich person comes from completely disagrees with your premise that everything is growing up rich.

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Class mobility is still very strong in America, and there's a wide range of skills and qualities that attribute to market value.

I don't think that what a person makes or is worth determines their value as a human being though.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

So pray tell why do you think someone stays at Walmart if they have the same skills and productivity of someone making twice the money at the same position elsewhere?

14. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

$600 cell phones, Jordans, and $1000 in tattoos?

15. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Our local Walmart has over 45 registers but never have more than 6 open at any time. The lines usually have 5-6 people in line.

Most irritating thing about our Walmart is, I'll ask, do you have this, the standard answer is, no, we've never carried anything like that. Yeah, but I bought it here last week. Oh, yeah, we should be getting another shipment in next Tuesday.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

There is far more labor than there is demand for it right now. There is a reason why wages have stagnated for average people. Any job that pays something decent gets dozens to hundreds of applications.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Every. damn. time.

18. OrangeBlood79

OrangeBlood79 Contributor

As a store, you cannot find more convenience in one place. However...the people...holy shit...

The only Wal-Mart location I ever really liked was the one off S. Gallaher in Knoxville. Mostly because that's where we always got our kegs, burgers and bratwurst (love some bratz) before gamedays.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

my wife's mentally disabled cousin works checking receipts at sam's club. she makes more than a cashier and has health benefits. now imagine the person who can't beat out people with 60 IQs? but I guess it's all bad luck, the economy, and such. and btw she was laid off at a hotel she worked at and found this job in under a month.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm sure that person wasn't given any different treatment due to their disability, right?