Should the legal drinking age be lowered to 18?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by utvol0427, Feb 12, 2014.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Yes, yes, and yes again.

The 21 year old drinking age is nonsense. I said it when I was 18. I said it when I was 19. I said it wen I was 20. I'll say it when I'm 65. It's indefensible paternalism. The government is not your father.

2. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Agree with all three points.

I understand that binge drinking is a problem, but I don't really see how the drinking age solves it, and it might exacerbate it. As someone who grew up in a household that drank frequently but moderately (and who still drinks frequently but moderately), the drinking age seems bizarre to me. I know the draft one is the most commonly cited, but the craziest thing to me is that you can get married before you can drink. If you're at the age to make life-long commitments, you're at the age where you can drink.

3. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Ok. My 8 year old can drive then.

4. kidbourbon

How do you feel about seat belt laws?

5. kidbourbon

Not following.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

When I turned 21 I gave my old id to my roommate who looks pretty similar to me. Guy would throw down the id with me 5 feet away. No one ever noticed of course.

7. JayVols

Really?

You bust out "The government isn't your father" and you don't follow. Hell, I could have said, "Ok, I can shoot you in the face then" and it would still be the same. Don't play the gov't isn't your dad on stuff you disagree with but say it's ok for government to regulate things you do. That's a bullshit argument.

8. kidbourbon

And then move the age of consent a few years below both of them. Paul Walker was not a rapist. Paul Walker was awesome.

9. kidbourbon

Would you like to say something that makes sense? I mean, are you aware of the concept of actions that harm others vs. actions that don't?

Does drinking beer harm others?
    Does punching somebody in the face harm others?

I look forward to your response. Sweet hypo, btw.

10. JayVols

My 8 year old driving doesn't harm anyone.

You really don't see the fallacy... Wow.

11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

It wouldn't be anywhere near the same. You'd be harming another individual in shooting them in the face, and should be punished. Buying a beer is only wrong due to an arbitrary age restriction.

12. JayVols

13. kidbourbon

What is this: the ridiculous game? Do we play every Wednesday? I had no idea.

Let's see...Jay just drew an analogy between 8 year olds operating vehicles on public roads, and 18 year olds imbibiing a liquid. Can KidB top that?

Nope, I'm out. You win.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Our drunk driving rate is no lower than countries where the drinking age is 18

15. JayVols

Half-can.

Should we have DUI offenses if they don't harm someone?

16. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

It isn't illegal for your 8 year old to drive. Only on public roads.

17. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

This.

18. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Personally, jay, if your 8 year old can drive, I'm okay with it. We have testing and licensing.

19. JayVols

But why do they have the right to restrict that solely based on age. She can already drive better than 95% of Virginians & 99% of Ohioans.

20. JayVols

While I might not agree, I respect this consistency.