The BBQ Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, Dec 9, 2011.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I understand that folks have different tastes, but hat's myth comment is a bit harsh, imo. I love that place. Bbq beans and fries are good stuff. All you have to do is look at the waitresses. A new pretty girl that is thin starts working there, guaranteed she's pushing 250 in a year's time.

2. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

3. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

If you're trying to say how great a BBQ joint is and you're talking about beans, fries, and fatass waitresses, that's an indication you might want to rethink your position.

4. JayVols

Lol. I love the way you think.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Ridgewood is a 5. Mainly reputation. Wasn't overly impressed.

6. JayVols

I thought Dreamland was just ok. Is that wierd?

7. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Not really. It's good, but it had the fine fortune of getting a little national publicity and became a "destination."

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I thought it was pretty good, but not some great BBQ.

9. JayVols

That's kind of how I felt. It was good, but I was not blown away.

I like Sticky Fingers fairly well for a chain.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'm partial to Centerpoint BBQ in Hendersonville Tennessee. It's gotten bigger the last few years and it's slowly starting to get worse but it's still some of the best around in middle Tennessee.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I agree on Sticky Fingers.

Another hole in the wall is Shuford's, at the bottom of Signal Mt in Chattanooga, has an excellent stuffed potato. I haven't had a sandwich because the place is a shrine to Bama football.

12. JayVols

The best ribs I have eaten were made by the HC I worked for. He retired from coaching and started competing in bbq competitions. He makes some fine ribs. He feeds me and I provide him with his apple wood from my old orchard.

13. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I have eaten there several times. Most of these places that get bigger lose quality.

There is one on Nolensville Rd. out close to the old part of town. The name slips my mind, but that guy can cook.

Martin's BBQ, I just remembered it.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I know where it is but I've never eaten there. I'll try it out

15. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Its good eatin.

The old JBQ that used to be on the corner of Union Hill and Whites Creek was good too. He moved down to New Hope Rd. for a while, but had to shut down due to health problems. He BBQd country style ribs that was as good as any rib I have eaten.

16. JayVols

I hope to be able to file a first hand report on Beecher's bbq prowess Labor Day weekend.

17. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

You two going all out and doing a slow cooked whole hog in the ground?

18. JayVols

Don't think so. I will b in Nashville with my daughter's clogging natty championships. Beech invited me over. Said he bbq'd that weekend. I'll eat if I can get away.

I would love took catch the game on friday with some middle tn 8th guys.

19. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Ate at a joint called Kepley's BBQ in High Point, NC while traveling this week. Eastern NC bbq in the vinegar tradition, but that is not the important part. They make something called a "skin sandwich" which is basically fresh, deep fried pig skin in slaw and put on a toasted bun. One of the more interesting things I have ever eaten.

20. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I would rearrange my Northeast TN list a little but the bolded part is 100-percent accurate.

A good place on your way to Bristol is Pardner's bbq, which has sweet tea so sweet it is liable to put you in a coma. Good atmosphere and decent bbq worth the drive out to Piney Flats. Not near the top of any of my bbq lists but a good change of pace.