POLITICS The Biden Presidency

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by emainvol, Jan 20, 2021.

1. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I was supposed to be at that one with my daughter, but a scheduling change moved them to another weekend.

Probably best for all parties involved.

zehr27 likes this.
  2. chef65

chef65 Contributor

If we are worried about saddling our children with insurmountable debt, why is all of the apprehension directed towards social spending? Do tax cuts for the wealthy not also contribute to our future dystopia? hmmm geee golly guys.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Bring social cuts to the table and I'll gladly bring higher rates to the table. Both need to occur, and will eventually have to. This isn't a political statement, it's a math statement,.

4. chef65

chef65 Contributor

What would the math look like if we entirely eliminated offensive military spending and made being a billionaire illegal?

5. CardinalVol

Off top of my head would probably close the gap considerably, but wouldn't eliminate it.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

What is "offensive" military spending, vs "defensive?" I think it gets really complicated.

As far as making it illegal to be a billionaire... even if this was done in some way that was largely agreeable and fair somehow (not sure how that would look, since they are mostly not liquid), that wouldn't actually make a huge difference on the deficit in itself.

7. CardinalVol

You can be incredibly wealthy and be very cash poor - see the Clayton sale to Buffet as exhibit A.

justingroves likes this.
  8. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Ok so it's us folks, not the people with BLM flags and shirts harassing white kids.
    Always somebody else's fault..

9. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I am asset poor and cash poor! Double threat, baby!

10. chef65

chef65 Contributor

Sure military spending is complicated but we need to ask who benefits from it and if the American people would be imperiled by, say, vacating Afghanistan. If most of the benefits line the pockets of the wealthy it’s an easy decision. If Afghans pose no threat to Knoxville or San Francisco or Fargo it’s an easy decision.

As far as economics I can only voice frustrations. A ceo doesn’t deserve over 300 times the compensation of his subordinate. The wealthiest 85 people on the planet have no right to the resources, liquid or solid, of more than fifty percent of the global population. Christians need to truly embrace the message of Jesus more than I do as an atheist.

11. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

What is incredible to me is how small the military is relative to our social programs / entitlements.

12. Ssmiff

But you are at peace more than most

13. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Someone has given them a label, and I think it's acceptable to determine why that label is or is not accurate. And yes, that label is the fault of those who labeled them. That's ownership of the label. That's simple.

And as said, regardless, they aren't advancing any cause well.

And to translate what that means for you, it means: "those people shouldn't be doing that."

And that statement applies regardless of the label, accurate or not.

SetVol13 and IP like this.
  14. IP

IP Super Moderator

There's never an occasion to yell at random 11 year olds walking safely down the street.

justingroves, NorrisAlan and The Dooz like this.
  15. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I have no idea why they might have been labeled BLM. Perhaps because that is how they labeled themselves.

[​IMG]

zehr27 and Indy like this.
  16. fl0at_

If a guy waiving a Tennessee flag and yelling "Go Vols" at people, in between berating children, I think it would be fair for us to wonder just how much they speak for the University.

We can acknowledge that there is some connection here, while at the same time saying that doesn't seem like something learned from UT.

17. Ssmiff

No. You did that.

18. fl0at_

Correct.

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

lol, wow, this is some of your best work.

20. fl0at_

In what way are you failing to draw similarities?