The Cosmos Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by kidbourbon, Apr 13, 2018.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I would love to go into space like these gentlemen did, as I believe it is the closest thing to touching the state of man that you can achieve. I bet it is more mind altering than any drug or meditative state we can achieve.

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Have tried to put myself there. Cant get over the thought of anxiety and almost panic attacked thinking about being in space and colostrophobia sets in. Besides that mental risk, itd be awesome

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

fear of breast milk sets in?

Indy likes this.
  4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I can barely snorkel. Scuba would be tough. Night scuba terrifying. Outer space and nowhere to go is potential catastrophe

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

claustrophobia? I was making a joke about you putting colostrophobia, which sounded like fear of colostrum.

I have failed, in Dennis Miller like fashion.

what is colostrophobia? opposite of claustrophobia?

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

opposite is agoraphobia... I thought?

7. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Couldn't do it, deathly afraid of heights

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

with a hermetically sealed metal hatch and strong enough restraints, you can do anything!

justingroves and kmf600 like this.
  9. NorrisAlan

Congratulations to Richard Branson and Virgin Galactic for making into space with 4 passengers. Paid space flight for passengers will now be a very accessible thing (given the money needed, of course), and is an exciting time.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

paid flights to nowhere. it's vanity. 250k is not very accessible. and is it worth the massive pollution?

11. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Now do early aviation.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  12. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

I'm going to wait for the space travel day package. I want to spend the night in one of those space stations up there. Hey, maybe they can string together a couple of space stations and call it "Space Hotel".

13. NorrisAlan

Of course it is vanity. So is any tourism. 250k is cheap compared to anything before it.

It is apparently very polluting, but they will most likely find a better engine at some point.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

we have been doing suborbital flight for 60 years. the only difference is now it is being done exclusively for entertainment

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

sorry, this is suborbital

16. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

And by a private company and open to the public. While I'd never pay 250K to go to the edge of space, the more publicity and excitement we can get around the idea, the more excitement, competition market participation, and investment we can in human space flight the better. The space race of the 60's was a government vanity project, I don't care that the current "space race" is a billionaire's vanity project, we need to expand to space no matter what. This is a good thing, and the more of this we can get the better off we are as a species.

17. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Well then count me out. Pfft...suborbital.

18. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Interesting thread

19. NorrisAlan

Congratulations to Jeff Bezos and Blue Origin for their first manned flight into sub-orbital space! This is a very exciting time for manned space flight.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

he appears to be unaware of the government grants, contracts, and training that went into those successes. Not to mention building on the previous experiences and technologies of NASA.