The Death of Ahmaud Arbery

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, May 5, 2020.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Rumor is that this occurred right under an overhead security camera, so there is a bird's eye view of them beating an unconscious man to death. That's the rumor. We'll know eventually. If that is what happened, they also falsified reports and lied like crazy about the whole thing (duh).

zehr27 likes this.
  2. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

More on the footage, allegedly:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2023
  3. IP

IP Super Moderator

If they would charge them when they release the footage, it may help.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  4. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Question marks in headlines always tell you something. If they put "Can anything stop them?" then they are rewriting a conclusion of "there are things that could stop them but aren't being done." Because if nothing could, that would be a stronger, more provocative headline and they'd run it. Similarly "Would the criminal justice system collapse if cops were forced to tell the truth?" means-- it would not, and that is tautological. How could a justice system be a justice system if it is dependent on willful dishonesty? And an affirmative headline of "it would collapse if they told the truth" would, again, but stronger and more provocative if true and they'd use that instead.

I'm not criticizing the headlines or the article, I am just pointing out that we already know the answers. Yes, it could be better and no it isn't something we have to accept. Nor should.

6. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

there are steps to releasing it and they will. Family has seen it.
    I also don’t believe the uproar will be as bad since none of the cops are white.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Well, that depends. If you get into it, the main complaint is not about individual white people with this stuff, but that there is an institutional problem and the lives of black people are not respected by the institutions. The cops being black doesn't change that. And ya, there are white people that get executed by cops too. but that doesn't change things because honestly no one should be executed by cops. Judge Dredd was not intended to be aspirational. It's too common, too easy, frequently not treated the same as if you and I went out and beat someone to death. It shouldn't matter if you have a uniform on, the law is the law. And these things aren't grey areas or incidental. They weren't trying to apprehend him anymore. Much like with George Floyd, they had him. And then continued to exert force.

SetVol13 likes this.
  8. IP

IP Super Moderator

And make no mistake, if they can do it to someone then they could do it to anyone in the wrong circumstance.

9. Ssmiff

I realize all that. Just saying it is what it is.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

You may see a different kind of outrage. More intersectional. Perhaps less out on the streets but more reform-oriented. This may get something done. Nobody likes bullies.

11. Ssmiff

people in memphis have been talking about riots since this happened. Some literally staying at home waiting for it to play out. Think they all feel the city is less likely to burn now than it was yesterday.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Good, that doesn't change people's hearts.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  13. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

If I'm a parent of a young black man I would have them always wearing a body camera that live streams to a server that only I have access to. It's about the only way to for sure to get the real story. This example right here shows the cops will be willing to doctor footage to protect themselves. Pretty sad measures like this may be needed to protect a person from the people that are supposed to protect and serve us.

14. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

This is the beauty of technology. Cameras are everywhere now.

15. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Is MPD unionized?

And I’m interested is seeing how this plays out in the media.

16. Ssmiff

Speaking of riots, atlanta has issues. Some activist shot at a cop and was killed in return.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Dad?

SetVol13, VolDad and IP like this.
  18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Too real

justingroves likes this.
  19. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

20. IP

IP Super Moderator