The Death of Ahmaud Arbery

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, May 5, 2020.

1. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Ah okay, I gotcha. My fault. That is a good point. I was looking at it from the point of view of being a runner and not being a thief.

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I have no ulterior motives in asking the question. I was just surprised, while watching the video, that he ran straight at the guy who had a gun. Obviously I can't see everything happening because the video cuts away at times, but there barrel doesn't appear to be in reach, from what I can see.

As for your question, I would assume not many, though I would also assume the number of thieves who would run right at the guy holding the gun would probably be higher than the number of non thieves. But again, I wasn't trying to state that by asking my question.

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Not all active shooter situations are the same. I would guess that "run at the shooter" is an option because sometimes the other options (such as run away) aren't available or won't work effectively.

4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

You be you. Nobody here IMO, would detour around the front of a truck, while unarmed and out for a jog, and take on a man pointing a gun at us as another man with another gun is in the truck.
    Unless we had just seen our family killed or equivalent then anything goes but just out for a jog and take them head on? Come on. This isnt an active shooter situation. We are talking about out for a routine jog and taking on 2 men with guns. Nobody here would go after the guns and dudes imo.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

I didn't think you were making any statement, I see it as a fair question.

Obviously it cuts away at a key time, but what I perceive to be possible and worth considering is that the driver of the truck stepped out (duh, we can see that part) and then crossed in front of the truck to the right side as the runner moved to run past on the right side instead of the left to be further from the driver who got out. So I am *assuming* (and that is a risk) that what could have happened is the driver was then at the front of the truck and moving to intercept the runner as he passed the front-- e.g., they got within a few feet of each other, so the runner may have instinctively reached out and grabbed the barrel sticking out at him as he ran by. We do see moments after the cut away that the runner does have his and on the weapon/is struggling for it, now in the middle of the road.

The other possibilities seem less likely: that the runner cut 90 degrees either at the back or front of the vehicle to rush the driver. In fact, I wonder if the timing of that would even make sense, if the driver remained outside the driver side door.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Right. They usually teach "run, hide, or fight." And getting away is preferable, but like you said sometimes you can't.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

We don't know that is what happened.

8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

It's easy to judge this shit at a distance, while your safe and not emotional.

If the guy was innocent, the better move would to have been to stay calm and demand the police be called. But being chased in a truck with two people you don't know with guns makes it hard to stay calm.

The two with guns in the truck should have handled it way different by keeping a safe distance and staying in the truck.

warhammer likes this.
  9. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Which makes me question the routine jog part. What % of routine unarmed joggers dont gtfo, vs decide to approach the truck and driver aggressively instead and try to fight 2 men with guns and no advanced military skillset to do it.

Still looks like murder with intent to me but something seems amiss with the trailing car filming and the victim running around and near the truck. Its also possible the victim said [uck fay] these dudes, didnt think, and reacted.

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

At 16 seconds, the guy is clearly out of the truck. The runner is almost certainly close enough to him to see the gun, if the man isn't hiding it. I guess we can't assume he sees it though.

At 19 seconds, we see the guy's feet cut in from what looks like the side of the truck and begin running towards the front of the truck. I feel comfortable saying, at this point, he is definitely running at the guy in front of the truck. We still can't say for certain that he sees the gun, but it's hard to believe he hasn't realized that one or both of these guys has a gun.

At 21 seconds, we see the guy with the gun begin to back away from the runner coming at him, and the guy's feet are initially just past the yellow lines in the road. Based on the timing, I don't see how he could have advanced toward the right side of the road much more than where we initially see his feet in the video.

The whole reaction by the runner is just really weird to me. Again, We can't know for certain what he saw/heard (did he have headphones in while running? That would help solidify the claim that he went for a run), but I feel confident that he likely saw the gun and made the decision to confront the man. I just can't get my head around that decision, when he could have easily fled the complete opposite direction, or went back the way he came. Just from a pure self preservation stand point, the decision makes very little sense to me.

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Run, hide are both definitely possible in this situation. Nothing about this scenario suggests "fight" is absolutely necessary or the only option.

Which, again, is why his reaction is so weird in my mind.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

They're in a truck and have guns. Their time on target is pretty damn high when you are on foot. Hide where? You are already spotted, blocked, and in the open.

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

They're in a neighborhood. You can see cars and houses. Run into someone's yard and hide. Run towards a house and bang on someone's door. The dudes are less likely to shoot in the direction of someone's house.

Point is, there are a number of ideas associated with "run" that seem like significantly better options than "attack the dude holding the gun, right next to the other guy with a gun in the bed of the truck," even based on nothing more than a split second judgement.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

"He was a thief, we caught him running on to this property and trying to break in."

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

If he is just an innocent dude running, why would his mind go there?

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

My mind goes there instantly. I grew up where we shot at guys like 53.

Tenacious D likes this.
  17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Idk man. Maybe background changes one's approach when facing two men with guns. For me, it's just hard to fathom how he would have decided to go at the guy.

18. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

Have you ever been shocked and scared? Instincts usually kick in and those instincts are definitely built on your personality and how you grew up. People don't react the same way and no one knows how they are going to react in a span of 10 seconds.

19. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

This assumes he knows why the guys were trying to detain him. For all he knew, he was running and two random guys roll up to him with shot guns telling him to stop. Unless there's something else, I don't think he is aware of anything regarding break-ins. And, let's be honest, he's a black guy being accosted, at least to him, by two white guys in a pick up truck with shot guns. I have no doubt that would affect him, as well.

20. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I run. While I was marathon training and really stretching out my daily miles, sometimes when I was a bit dehydrated or had eaten poorly or slept poorly or some something or another I would get a little loopy and feel a bit panicked about something like a car or an animal or something like that. I just about swung at a guy on a bicycle once who coasted up behind me and said something. Normally even back then I would notice my body going that way and either walk a bit, get some water or shade, or just go home. I can only guess what I might have done if two good old boys with guns in a pickup and another car started following me or blocking the road. Heck, if I'm running on a road like that one with no good shoulder and painted lines, I'm already a little on edge on a good day.

I mention all of that to say that it's not unreasonable to believe the alleged thief might get frantic and choose fight over flight.

I'm also really curious as to what kind of communication happened before this. The only accounts we're likely to get are the shooters' and the camera guy, so that's most likely a curiosity that is never satisfied.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
    IP and SetVol13 like this.