The Get Ben Howland's Phone Number Postgame Report.

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by hatvol96, Dec 18, 2013.

1. rockytopblues

rockytopblues Member

I think Howland wins here, and would support the hire if the UTAD was actually smart enough to pursue it (big if there). I think you also have to look at the expectations at UCLA and TN in terms of hoops. UCLA is college hoops' version of Bama. That fanbase believes they are entitled to NCAA championships because of Wooden and the Pyramid of Success. It is a good job in terms of name alone, but they just haven't been much in recent history, not consistently.

All that being said, I would take Howland's success/failure at UCLA at TN over what we are putting on the floor now. Two straight FFs and missing the tourney twice in 4 years. If TN had that sort of success in hoops, Howland would get a statue outside of TBA.

I also think that Howland would not repeat the same recruiting mistakes he made at UCLA. If he had Pearl's on court success, with possible SEC Tourney titles and longer runs in the NCAA Tourney, I believe everyone would forget his shortcomings at UCLA. If he repeated his success at Pitt, which was one of the toughest basketball conferences in the country at that time, I don't think anyone would complain.

2. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Sounds about right.

3. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Had me until this. UTAD / smart = Oxymoron.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

5. MettaWorldPeace

MettaWorldPeace Contributor

I've always thought of him as a tougher version of Pau Gasol. Not necessarily in similarities, but he's a guy that I wouldn't build my team around, but can use his offensive efficiency to develop into a successful second option for a contending team.

6. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

38.7%

And if you don't think that's good, I'd like to hear your argument.

ETA: And I realize you were quoting his career percentage. But if you're going to speak to his infatuation with the three pointer, you gotta go with the numbers he's been putting up during said infatuation, which is this year (as 35% of his shots are from behind the arc -- a marked increase from previous years).

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  7. DarthVisor

DarthVisor Active Member

I had hoped we wouldn't look like a complete shyt sandwich again this year. :(

8. hatvol96

I'm shocked. I have great faith in Frank, but they look awful times 1,000.

9. DarthVisor

DarthVisor Active Member

I'm right there with you. Maybe they will improve as the year goes on, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

10. CardinalVol

What was his draw to Columbia? I don't remember.

11. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

I thought something happened at Kansas State that he wanted to get out of there.

12. hatvol96

Moving meant he no longer had to work for John Currie.

13. CardinalVol

Had completely forgotten he was AD there.

14. DarthVisor

DarthVisor Active Member

I had no idea until Hat specified. I was shocked we were able to lure him to our graveyard of a program.

15. CardinalVol

Carolina is odd. They've had a bit of success over the years, but now don't seem to care about it at all.

Then again, upon second thought, they are the perfect example of a SEC basketball program outside of Lexington.

16. DarthVisor

DarthVisor Active Member

They seem to be all-in on football and baseball right now, which is fine with me. I'd like to be good at basketball, but maybe we can remain relevant in football for a while.